Duncan coral still won't open!

Discussion in 'Coral' started by sjn1282, Feb 11, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. BrianJ

BrianJ Peppermint Shrimp

Yup why not lol.

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Personally I would leave the Duncan in the light with mod flow. The more you move corals the longer they take to acclimate to a spot and open. Hands in the tank as little as possible is best, I know it's extremely hard though. You'll see better results in the long run. Make one change at a time and be patient.

4. BrianJ

BrianJ Peppermint Shrimp

She's right though.

5. sjn1282

sjn1282 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Ok thanks! Its still peaking out and going back in. Im just gonna leave it there like u said and see what happens. I guess at least its moving and i know its not dead. Thanks and ill keep yall updated.

6. Drboomson

Drboomson Flamingo Tongue

Agree, in addition mine love LOTS of flow, i actually thought at one point i had to much flow in my tank and was dialing it down over a few dys to a week and it didnt like it one bit, i saw that when my powerhead would randomly switch to 100% throughout the day he would almost instantly open. So again I have mine in a heavy flow near top with LEDs no issues. Also on storm days i notice him stretching for the light rather than being sucked up due to lack of light.

7. sjn1282

Ok so heres an update. After leaving it on the bottom for a week it continued. I moved it up to the middle and it wouldnt come out at all. I left it there for another week and still nothing. I went to a few lfs which basically said the same thing as everyone on here till 1 of them asked if i add ph. I said im not dosing anything so he told me thats usually what he finds when duncans dont come out is low ph. I brought him a sample of my water and he said ph was at 7.8 and my calcium was low. I bought 2 part which i have been dosing and after another week still nothing. Had him test it again and he said that i was now in range. Still nothing with the duncan. I decided to put it in the fuge since there is nothing that could bother it, low flow and i wanted to see if it would come out. Another week and nothing. On monday i said to myself maybe it wants alot of light and i havent tried it high up. I also remember someone on here saying maybe its not getting enough light and theirs loves high light and flow. I placed it at the top of the rock right under the led about 6 inches away and my powerhead aims that way but doesnt blast it. It started coming out about an hour after i did that. Now today it is almost all the way out and looks like it loves it there. Finally success!!! Thanks to everyone for the help!!

8. Click Here!

9. Ducncover

Ducncover Skunk Shrimp

My Duncan is on the top of my scape in high flow/high light and with regular feedings Ive gone from about 9 heads to about 50 in a little over 6 months. Glad to hear you found its sweet spot and is doing better

10. sjn1282

Nice. It only has 2 heads right now. What do u feed it? Doesnt it get food when i feed the tank also or is it better to spot feed it?

11. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

yay! so glad you were able to find its good spot!

12. Ducncover

Ducncover Skunk Shrimp

I usually target feed mysis/rotifers...yeah they will usually catch what is in the water column when you feed your fish. I dont know if its "better" one way or the other to spot feed... I have read that alot of corals may grow faster with regular target feedings, so I try to do so once a week sometimes twice...I just make sure that I keep up on filtration with the added food so it doesnt create any issues with param's...out of all my corals target feeding has created the fastest growth in my Duncan