Duncan coral still won't open!

Discussion in 'Coral' started by sjn1282, Feb 11, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Camkha1234

Camkha1234 Great Blue Whale

That could also be a possibility. Never thought about that. sjn1282, you said that the Duncan was stretching when you had PC's. How long ago was this? Were they acting normal right before this started happening, or were they stretching, then closing up?

2. Click Here!

3. sjn1282

sjn1282 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Also the led isnt hanging its just sitting on the glass maybe 2 inches from the surface of the water.

4. Camkha1234

It could also be possible that it is getting too much light. What are the light settings, and what optics?

5. sjn1282

When i had the power compacts i didnt have the duncan. I had a paly that was streching for the light. The duncan was added after i got the leds. He was good for abput 3-4 days when i got it then it closed up and hasnt come out all the way since. For the first 3 weeks he didnt come out at all that i saw but now for the last few weeks it comes up and goes back. Never see the sweepers tho just the middle then it goes back. Also forgot to mention the fish store said they had to rehab it before they put it out to sell. He said it wasnt doing good then they got it back on track and it was fully out and looking awesome when i had him bag it up

6. sjn1282

No optics on the light and its just an on/off switch no dimmers. I have them on timers tho and went from 5 hours to 7 hours of whites for the last 2 weeks since everything has been looking good besides the duncan.

7. sjn1282

I just glued the frag plug to a slate of rock i had lying around so it cant get knocked around and i put it in the middle at the same height as the hammer. I guess ill monitor it tomorrow and see what happens.

8. Click Here!

9. Camkha1234

It could be possible that the light may be too strong. Like you said, just watch it and make sure it doesn't recede any further. If it does, try to put it in a more shaded area.

10. BrianJ

BrianJ Peppermint Shrimp

Like he said put it lower or under a rock. With no dimmer it would be hard to tell. All you can do is move it around and see if it will open. I have a 120 and I'm only running about 30 percent on whites and 40 on blues. My duncan has sat the highest in the tank with full light and has had some insane growth. Its about 12 inches from the light. Running whites 8 hours and blues 10. Also I have found low/fluctuating alk, as well as water evap/high salinity will cause it to close.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  11. sjn1282

Ok i will monitor it tomorrow and see if it comes out. If not ill move it down under the ledge and see what happens.

12. BrianJ

BrianJ Peppermint Shrimp

Best of luck hope you get it happy.