Dual 250w MH and canopy; not all good

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by GraviT, Mar 29, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I am with you on the noise Gravit.. my magnetic makes a nice buzz. But I am confused about the heat.. didn't you say these were outside the canopy?

2. Click Here!

3. GraviT

GraviT Coral Banded Shrimp

Yes, they are outside of the canopy, but the boxes get very hot (uncomfortable to touch) and I'm just a bit worried that they are not able to adequately dissipate the heat generated. The ballast enclosures need to be able to sit in my stand and I don't feel good about the current setup.

The alternative would be to purchase a pre-built, dual magnetic ballast in an aluminum enclosure w/ cooling fans built in. Won't get rid of the buzz, but should keep the temp down a bit.

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I see.
    I just looked at mine and it doesn't even have vents! Guess it's cuz it's just a 150 watt. It's warm, but not hot.

ANyway, I think you have the right idea, just go electronic if your bulbs will take them and be done with it. THe bulbs will burn better too.

5. ENGINE 41

ENGINE 41 Astrea Snail

I'm new to all of the reef and lighting stuff. I was wondering the same thing about the heat, I didnt want to be a work and get a fire at my own house ( I'm a firefighter and my house is in my zone ) so I got electronic ballasts 2-250 Ice Cap MH/HQI and ICe Cap 660 VHO ballast for the atinics. I'm going to put 4 fans in my hood 2 blowing in and 2 blowing out also leaving back of canopy open, on top of that I'm putting my ballasts in the bottom of my stand with back open and also adding a fan there aswell I hope I can keep them cool.

6. Zissou

Zissou Fire Shrimp

Hey Gravit your setup sounds like it is going to be awesome. i fully agree with going electronic for the ballasts. i am running 3 icecap 400w on my frag tank and they are silent, no vibration, and little heat. i can still grab them after a full days use and it wont burn me. good luck and i highly recommend the icecaps.

7. Kentanner11

Kentanner11 Coral Banded Shrimp

That would be embarising!!!;D His fishy tank caused the fire!

8. Click Here!

9. ENGINE 41

ENGINE 41 Astrea Snail

Yea your right... LOL

10. asonitez

asonitez Plankton

what reflectors are you using?