Resolved DT is overflowing!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by mdbostwick, Aug 1, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

I had this issue. Had algae in my U tube and stockman.

Billme and mdbostwick like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Hello all,

JUst a few things after reading this.
    1. The 'drain'- in your case a HOB overflow on a non drilled tank? Using an Eshopps double tube outer box?
    Any drain, no matter how your doing it, should always be able to handle what the return pumps at it.
    YOu said your 2 drain lines were 1.5" ID? And the RP line?
    On a 55g? That's huge for a 55. Is it 1.5 all the way to your sump? YOu said 30ft to the sump? Have you taken apart this 30 ft enough to blow high pressure water thru it to clean the lines?
    And, unless the 'drain' is running full siphon, you need an airline- otherwise it will quickly emtpy it's resevoir and suck air anyways.
    If you have 2 drains, it is possible that 1 side runs full siphon adjudsted by a gate vate, while the other drain with a airline takes up the extra. Either way, only 1 of the 2 drains alone should always be able to handle the RP's output.
    Something in there was really wrong if your DT overflowed.
    Which reminds me of my thread about a $70 sensor and RP cutoff when the DT got too high and had the potential of overflowing. I used it as insurance when I used my DIY-intank surface skimming HOB overflow- sorked like a champ when tested- but the overflow never failed to drain what the RP put out- so it was insurance from a wet floor, etc.
    In fact, I stilll have that and will ship it to you for $40- it simply shuts down what's plugged in to it when a sensor gets wet- saving your floors, and keeping the ATO from dropping your silinity.

Todd

4. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

Hey Todd can you post a link to that thread? I'm looking for some more insurance.