Resolved DT is overflowing!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by mdbostwick, Aug 1, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

it is about 30 feet and i sure don't have any way of doing that. I have the pump back up to about where it was before. I think what may be happening is one of my airlines is letting water in and basically shutting down that particular drain.

The drain does need air in the line as well right?

2. Click Here!

3. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

I don't know. I'm not familiar with that type of drain. I will probably be building one for my new tank so you'll probably get a chance to advise me on it.

4. mdbostwick

With the eshopps overflow they are almost a must have. My wife probably would have divorced me over the noise the thing makes and with the gurgle buster, when tuned, all you really hear is the sound of the water trickling over the inside box. I am pretty sure that the tubing that goes into the top of it basically shrunk and was sliding down farther and farther into the drain itself and choking off that side of the drain and the other side alone couldn't handle the load with what little the other was doing. Replaced the tubing and it has a tight fit now and it draining pretty good now.

I still am worried to go to sleep thinking i will wake up to a wet living room, a tank full of dead fish and coral, due to the ato doing its job of lowering the salinity for every drop that goes over the top, and divorce papers from my wife for destroying the living room.

Which brings me to my new set of problems. My salinity is now low and i need to bring it back up. How much can i change the salinity at a time and how often can I adjust it?

5. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

That's happened to me before. The way I did it was to overfill the sump with salt water at 1.026. Keep it overfilled and as the water evaporates it will become more salty. It took me about 4 days to bring salinity back up from 1.022 to 1.026. Of course, it will depend on the rate of evaporation. My understanding is that it's OK to reduce salinity fast but raise it slowly. Also, if you are doing it this way you can disconnect the ato so you don't have to worry about that.

mdbostwick likes this.
  6. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

I think it would be OK to reduce the flow from your return via the gate valve till tomorrow so you can keep an eye on it running fill blast.

mdbostwick likes this.
  7. mdbostwick

Then that is my plan on the salinity and i was thinking i would keep it dialed back a bit overnight. Thanks for all your help. :)

Billme likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Take a picture of your plumbing.That will help AZ diagnose your problem when he rolls out of bed.lol

10. FeedYourMachine

FeedYourMachine Feather Duster

Ugh !
    Been there too...Wife was not pleased!
    I wouldn't think you would want any air in the drain line though .

11. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

Going OK MD? It sounds like your drain is similar to the stockman durso. Was it just a matter of adjusting the tubing?

12. mdbostwick

Yeah seems to be working just fine now. I think the problem was around the tube was underwater and leaking, so air couldn't escape through there and thus slowed the draining on that side. I bought the overflow with 2 drains to handle the additional load of the pump and just proved that it was necessary last night.

Billme likes this.