DSB in 29 gallon... newbie

Discussion in 'Sand' started by stook, Jan 8, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. stook

stook Astrea Snail

Hi everybody :wave: I'm new to 3reef and this is actually my first post. I just set up a 29 gallon aquarium (my first saltwater) which is currently cycling. I've been sifting through article after article and an abundance of threads on DSB. I've added about 5 inches of aragonite sand to my tank thinking a DSB is the way to go. I know it's not the "miracle pill" to nitrates, but will it have any impact since it's a smaller tank. or am I just better off with 2-3 inches or so and a clean up crew? I can still alter things around because I haven't added any livestock yet.

Thanks!
    Michael

2. Click Here!

3. SwimsWithFish

SwimsWithFish Giant Squid

I personally don't like them because of the danger of trates. You would be fine with 2-3" with a CUC. If you keep it deep make sure not to disturb it.

4. FatBastad

FatBastad Zoanthid

Leave the 5 inches in, DSB's are good.

5. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

I agree that a deep bed can be dangerous. Gasses build up, nitrates too. Unless you invest in some sand sifters I'd stick with the 2-3" bed.

6. Deftones2015

Deftones2015 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I would stick with 2 inches or so, look up pictures of dsb's they get nasty algae in between the sand and the glass and just don't look as nice to me. Plus if you have hermits or anything like that they may eat the pods, worms etc that will help the dsb stay stable.