dry rock

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by helwidcha, Sep 13, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. helwidcha

helwidcha Flamingo Tongue

zero..good eye man! yes i pretty sure i will smash up some of the rock and find something to do with it .im always mixing something up lol but i do think a mix from small to mid to large would look very nice in the tank. right now its all big. yes the back of the tank is painted black and the DIY pvc overflow was a fast cheep way to get more water to my live sump witch i started about 4 weeks ago. i have a mag 5 on the way and when the money comes next is a good skimmer ...then the ugly pvc goes away and a real overflow replaces it

2. Click Here!

3. helwidcha

so 1 to 1 1/2 old i like that ! and its cheaper ! lol i have about maybe a half pound if that of rubble that came off the rock in shipping i will start working on some rubble piles ..great idea ...thanks yall big help!

4. Zero_Dude

Zero_Dude Fire Shrimp

Wow, someone is actually doing something I suggest;D

I'd go with one pile instead of a few smaller ones. Takes less space, looks better, and is probably better for pods

5. brentonwoodruff

brentonwoodruff Fire Worm

The idea of 1-2 pounds per gallon often refers to live rock which has water weight and is much heavier per volume than dry rock. With dry rock it is really whatever looks good and fits the aqua scape of your aquarium. I believe my current tank has 1/2 pound DRY rock per gallon wich if weighed now would probably equal about 1.5 pounds per gallon live rock.

6. helwidcha

hum I never thought about it like that brenton

1 person likes this.
  7. helwidcha

ok a small but I think good change to my aquascape . im ordering my sand today to I just couldn't resist playing in the water lol in case yall cant tell from the first pics I just made and added a small rubble rock arch up top lol is it a good idea to bury that much rock about 2" or 3" of sand?

Attached Files:

8. Click Here!

9. Inertiatic

Inertiatic Bubble Tip Anemone

Looks good! Don't worry about covering the rock with sand. It is safer to do than to put the rock on the sand bed. Rocks can shift easier when on the sand bed.

Did you glue your rubble arch together?

10. helwidcha

Thanks! small changes can make a big difference. its just sitting up there for now. I had some small but stiff air tube I drilled small holes and pegged them together. I will glue or epoxy the base of the arch latter .

11. guidedbyechoes

guidedbyechoes Spaghetti Worm

I always use egg crate aka light diffuser material. It helps spread the weight out evenly, protect from pointy corners and the fish can't dig a hole to the glass.

12. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I would really suggest to keep your sand about 1 1/2 to 2 inches in depth. Less issues with it that way, once you get up into 3 inches then you can possibly be looking at some areas being a DSB. Just my .02. And hey, less sand, cheaper ;)