Dry Live Rock v.s Live Rock

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by Michael Pollard, Jun 23, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Michael Pollard

Michael Pollard Astrea Snail

Hi! I was about to buy some of BRS' Reef Saver Dry Aquarium Live Rock. I was wondering if there is any benefit to going with live rock instead of dry live rock?
    Also, on BRS, they said the rock needed to be cured? Is this true?

Thank you! :)

2. Click Here!

3. WhiskyTango

WhiskyTango Eyelash Blennie

Michael, those BRS videos are great resources. Whatever they say is sound advice.

Curing is the process of die off and finally a steady state for rock from the ocean. Curing dry rock means kinda the same thing for residual dead organisms and organics on the dried out rock.

Cycling is the term for developing a bacteria population on sand and rock that will act as the keystone of your biological filter.

So yes, live and dry rock both require some curing and cycling before your tank is stable enough for a healthy population of sensitive corals and fish.

It is highly advised for the sake of your wallet and the prevention of unwanted pests, to use dry rock seeded with a single piece live rock from a trusted source or even a bottle.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
    Mr. Bill and Corailline like this.
  4. Michael Pollard

Thanks for the info. :)
    Do you suggest a place to buy a piece of live rock?

5. WhiskyTango

WhiskyTango Eyelash Blennie

A friend with a healthy established tank or your local LFS (live fish store).

6. FeedYourMachine

FeedYourMachine Feather Duster

Your definitely going to want to get a piece of LR from a trusted source..Do you know someone with an established tank..One piece is all you need to seed the rest.

EDIT:beat me to it whisky LOL

7. Zgetman

Zgetman Ritteri Anemone

I got all my rock and sand from MarcoRocks. The sand and rock both were dry rock. I didn't have to do anything special with this rock or sand. I just placed it in my tank, with a cup of sand from my buddies tank to seed the system. My system has been going good for almost a year now, and I have enjoyed watching my rock turn colors.

8. Click Here!

9. Michael Pollard

I have all my sand, I went with live sand. Sadly, I don't know of anyone local who can do something like that for me.

10. Zgetman

Zgetman Ritteri Anemone

Live sand will seed your tank just fine. It is just like putting in LR in your system. It has the beneficial bacteria in it. I have read of people suggesting using LS, like caribsea. I dont have any experience with it, but I would not think it would be a bad idea.

Mr. Bill likes this.
  11. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

FTR, live sand is more than just wet sand with bacteria; it includes a variety of benthic critters (mollusks, worms, etc., etc.) which help clean and aerate the sandbed as well as producing plankton blooms which are a natural live food source for many of our pets. Forum rumors claim that buying bagged live sand is a waste; IMOPE, this is not true, especially with Arag-Alive from CaribSea. I've used it on several occasions with excellent results every time.

That said, adding live rock, live sand, or bacterial supplements can assist in seeding your tank, but it is not an absolute necessity. Just add an ammonia source (raw shrimp, ghost feeding, etc) and the bacteria will develop. I've also started several tanks with all dry rock and substrate, including my current 29g. As for coralline and hitch hikers, those came in on rubble to which my corals were attached. One can also buy sandbed infuana packs if they wish. :)

Vinnyboombatz and Alfie uk like this.
  12. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

Just my .02, live sand also doesn't need to be rinsed which I consider a huge benefit

Alfie uk likes this.