Drunk Fish

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by NOWICKI, Aug 5, 2002.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. NOWICKI

NOWICKI Astrea Snail

I've got a new Reef Tank and it is running fairly well. Right now I am in the cycle process. My blue damsel is not doing to well. Everything seemed to be running well. The salenity is maybe a bit high but I'm adding fresh water a little bit at a time to fix that. So I'm not sure why my damsel is swimming as though it were drunk. It's pretty sad. What can I do? :-/

2. Click Here!

3. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

what is your salinity? you say high just how high is it?
    you may be having a problem with your damsel because of your tank cycling. during the cycle you have ammonia and nitrites which do seriously affect fish. it actually causes  poisoning to the fish. cycling with damsels used to be the only way to cycle the tank but now fishless cycling is the way to go. cycling wil cause great stress on the fish odd swimming, discoloration, appetite problems, possibly death. most damsels may survive but can become nasty to new additions and may end up with long term affects like respirtory or gill damage.

you can use live rock to cycle or the table shrimp method to do this. is the damsel the only thing in the tank? what all do you test for?   for some good info you can check out the links in the first post in the forum "newbies to saltwater" has great info and tons of it. when starting sw tanks the best thing to do is read, read, and read some more.

4. NOWICKI

NOWICKI Astrea Snail

Thanks Karlas
    My tank is this:
    26g
    fluval204
    100w heater
    live fiji sand
    8pds of live rock
    2 turbo snails
    2 crabs
    and 1 damsel
    well, he died last night.
    (poor guy).
    The salenity was between 1.022 and 1.024 and I was working to bring that down. Is there a wrong way to do that?
    The temp was at 75-77
    Lights off over night.

See, I followed my friends advice to the t (he owns a pet shop with many successful reef tanks). I think that I might be missing something or maybe not, maybe the fish was just stressed because we bought him durning an anniversary sale and a lot was going on. I even did the whole bit about letting him float in his bag before introducing him to the tank and then I added my water to his and then fished him out into my tank.
    Should I let the LR finnish the cycle? that will take longer won't it? should I get another damsel or maybe another species?

Thanks for any and all advice!!!
    Ryan "newbie" Nowicki

5. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

your salt is ok a good range for salt is 1.021-1.025 if you are staying steady there dont change it.

i would definitly say the damsel died to the cycle. cycling with fish was always the way to go but they just found better ways to do it with out stressing or killing animals. so maby that is the way your friend learned.  some people that have been in the hobby a long time still go by the older methods. you can let the lr finish the cycle, it wont take any longer that with the damsel. there is really no way to speed it up. one thing with this hobby is patience. do not get another damsel or add any more critters to your tank until the cycle is finished. if you want to be sure about your tank cycling take a piece of table shrimp and throw in there this will cycle your tank for you. it will dissapear the bacteria as it multiplies will eat up the shrimp. i cycled a 20 gall qtank, and a friends 55 this way with the shrimp. our 75 was cycled with lr bought off line. here is a good explaination of the nitrogen cycle

http://www.reefcorner.com/Manual/nitrogen_cycle.htm

here is some other info i copied

any new tank has to go through the cycle there is no way around it you will have the spike in ammonia, nitrites, then nitrates. these are the 3 major test you should keep an eye on during the cycle. other things to test for in a tank that are a must are ph, alkalinity, salinity. there are many other test but for starting out these are the most importent.

ranges for these after the cycle should be
    salinity 1.021-1.025
    ammonia 0
    nitrites 0
    nitrates for a reef 0-20 with fish only they can stand higher levels
    ph 8.1-8.4
    alkalinity 9-12 dkh

6. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

also i forgot to mention check out the thread newbies to saltwater in the general discussion forum i have quite a few sites with good beginner info listed there and a ton of stuff to read :thumbsup1: ;D :thumbsup2: