DrTim's Introduces NP-Active Pearls

Discussion in 'DrTim's Aquatics' started by DrTim, Sep 10, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

So I am having some issues with my SPS. Some of my pieces are bleaching. I am also having some issues with cyano blooms. Skimmate production has really increased as well so I am assuming it has to do with the biopellets kicking in.

Params:

ALK: 125ppm (dKH 7)
    Calc: 420
    Mag: 1350
    pH 7.96-8.23 depending on time of day
    Ammo: 0
    Trite: 0
    Trate: 5-10

Pellets are in a MR1 reactor constantly tumbling with no clumping. I have a total of 80 gallons in my system and am only using 60 gallons worth of pellets. Suggestions?

2. Click Here!

3. DrTim

DrTim 3reef Sponsor

what is the orthophosphate value? Also would help to have some water quality data from before you added the pearls. Have you added ANYTHING else to the water? Reason I ask is because you mention the cyano bloom.

DrTim

4. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

I haven't added anything else to the water besides food and the bottle of waste-away.

.5-1ppm for po4. Unfortunately all I have is the API test right now.

Before use:

trate: 10-15
    po4: .5-1ppm

5. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

I am also experiencing a huge increase of cyano. Should I have the reactor return go directly into my skimmer?:confused:

6. DrTim

DrTim 3reef Sponsor

First, yes - direct the reactor output into or very near the skimmer.

Here is what I think the situation is and I don't think it has anything to do with the Pearls. Rather, I think the situation is that by adding the Waste-Away the bacteria in waste-away has started to break up the organics that were in the substrate. This is good but it can also start to fed cyano if they are around for a little while. Basically, there is a small war going on in your tank as you start to remove organics and nutrients from the water and the cyano are fighting back.

This was an established tank - yes? If a tank has been up a while it might be better to first use waste-away to really clean up the organics and then go with the Pearls. This is just a hunch on my part. Why I think it is the waste-away and not the Pearls is that I have had no one mention a cyano break out with the Pearls and have had a few mention cyano when using waste-away and that makes sense.

Best coarse of action is to get the skimmer working to remove as much grunge as you can. The soon you get rid of the organic the faster the cyano will disappear.

Hope this helps.

DrTim

7. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

Yes, the tank has been established for roughly 3 years. I have the output from the reactor going straight to the skimmer intake.

Any suggestions on getting rid of the cyano faster? I remove via airline whenever I see it. I am not a fan of water changes due to the high levels my salt creates. Much higher than i want my tank at.

My normaly return pump, roughly 635 gph at 5ft of head and ran my reactor at the same time broke and I am now using a temporary replacement that pumps ~450gph at 5ft of head, but is also running the reactor I use. This is probably leaving a lot of waste in the tank now.

8. Click Here!

9. proreefer

proreefer Feather Star

hi Dr. Tim if you can will you explain the difference between brs biopellets and pearls they seem to be made out of the same material?

10. DrTim

DrTim 3reef Sponsor

Hello proreefer - they could be the same material - we are not the only company selling a PHA-based biopellets and there are a few manufacturers of PHA. But we are the only one with this particular PHA. Make sense?

Cheers

DrTim