Driver adjustment problems

Discussion in 'RapidLED' started by Mike Edwards123, Jun 18, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Mike Edwards123

Mike Edwards123 Plankton

I have 2 of my 4 LEDs wired and operational. They are my 12 blue plus 2 green on one driver and 12 royal blue + 2 green on the second. As both need to be less than 1300 ma I am trying to adjust the current. Had to get another meter as my current one only tested dc current, not ac. So I wired in the meter in between the first and second led. ( red wire from driver to first led+, - on led connected to red probe, black probe to - on second led and then positive to negative down the line....)
    I turned the nylon screw current adjuster all the way counter clockwise and have it wired to my boostled typhoon controller which is set to the all on mode at 100%. All 4 of my drivers are wired to my controller but only the 2 I am trying to dial in have completed circuits as I am waiting on replacement LEDs. I have only the one driver I am trying to dial in plugged into an outlet at the time of testing.
    Okay. So on both, when I power up at the lowest setting ( all the way counter clock wise) I get a reading of .0000. The lights do come on though. As I turn the screw I get some wacky numbers that go all over place initially but when they settle down I can never get them above .0021 for one and .0018 for the other, not the .90 that would indicate the 900ma that these LEDs are rated for. Now I can tell that as I turn the screw, the lights do get brighter but not the full duration of the clockwise turn. Only during a small duration of that turn.
    My meter is set to 10A and my red lead is in the AC port and my black is in the Com port as my meter instructs.
    So my question is am I doing something wrong? I can't get close to the right .9000 reading that I believe I need. I am afraid that at the .0021 that I actually may be over powering so I have tried to get it to .0009. On one of the drivers I can but the other it can't be adjust to that. It goes from .0000 to around .0012. After trying for 30 min I could not get the .0009. Or much of anything in between for that matter.
    Any thoughts?

2. Click Here!

3. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

First issue: you ARE measuring a DC current.

Second: I'm not quite certain on how you connected the ammeter. It must be in series with the circuit, not parallel. That is to say, when you connected the meter between two diodes, there were no other wires connecting those two diodes.

4. Mike Edwards123

Mike Edwards123 Plankton

Well watching the videos and the online stuff I was sure that I was to set to test ac current. Will have to look again. Anyone else want to confirm. I can toggle to dc and test that way tonight. Plus it seems my other LEDs came in today so hope I can complete these in the next day or two.

5. Mike Edwards123

Mike Edwards123 Plankton

And I did what rapids instruction were. To basically act like theater was another led.

6. Rapid LED

Rapid LED 3reef Sponsor

Power on the LED side is typically DC, coming from the wall to the driver it's AC. I believe we just sent an email to you a few minutes ago, check the positioning of the prongs on your meter. I think you might have it going to the wrong solder pad on your second LED.

7. Mike Edwards123

Mike Edwards123 Plankton

I may have spoken wrong and will check but I basically broke into the chain of positive to negative wiring. I removed one end (-) of the wire between two leds and wrapped it to the black probe. I soldered a second wire to the + on the other led and wrapped it around the red probe. I do know I have it wired positive and negative. But question is does it matter if my red probe is connected to the negative pad and black to positive pad. It is allowing the lights to work so I am sure I an making a complete circuit. My meter is the only thing that is making the bridge between led one and two.

8. Click Here!

9. Mike Edwards123

Mike Edwards123 Plankton

Spoke with Vince and yes I need to be set to dc. I am certain I am wired correctly. So hope the dc issue is my problem.

10. Mike Edwards123

Mike Edwards123 Plankton

Yep. DC setting was the only problem. Got all 4 channels tested and adjusted. I did blow one white but have a replacement already in transit. These things are bright Will Be mounting soon. :).

11. Rapid LED

Rapid LED 3reef Sponsor

Glad to hear that all in all it wasn't too bad a problem!

12. Mike Edwards123

Mike Edwards123 Plankton

Thank you for the quick response. Customer service these days is a foreign language but not with you all.