Dripping Kalk for the first time

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Clonefarmer, Jan 15, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. TBELT

TBELT Ritteri Anemone

Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. Clonefarmer

Clonefarmer Millepora

Just checked out your build thread TBELT. Nice tank! I'm surprised you don't have a larger demand with all that coralline. I guess that shows how effective water changes can be.

4. Clonefarmer

Clonefarmer Millepora

The kalk drip has been keeping the levels steady. I did learn a few more things while dripping that I wanted to share though.

1) Make sure to get all the air out of the drip line. Any air bubbles will cause precipitation.

2) Precipitation builds up pretty quickly even with no bubbles in the line. It's a good idea to have a container of RO water to flush the drip line and dripper.

3) As the level of Kalwasser drops in the container the siphon slows. The lowered pressure on the siphon and the precipitate build up can lower the drip rate significantly. Keep an eye on the drip rate it may need adjusting.

5. kstafford003

kstafford003 Feather Star

Thanks for sharing your setup. I too was wondering how you were dripping. Everytime I learn something I read a post about something else I knew nothing about. Thanks, lol.

6. Clonefarmer

Clonefarmer Millepora

I'm happy I could help :).

7. brannock_16

brannock_16 Ritteri Anemone

When you are dripping the kalk, does the jug that contains the kalk and RO water need to be higher than your DT or sump in order for the siphon to work?

Also, once your jug of kalkwasser has ran out, can you reuse the "slurry" of kalk that is left in the bottom of the jug or do you need to replace this and use fresh kalk?

And just to be clear, you started with 1 tsp of Kalk with 1 gallon of RO water on what size tank? I am thinking of starting this on my 120 gallon LPS dominant tank and would like to find out a good place to start with my ration of Kalk to RO water to tank size.

Thanks in advance,

Robert

8. Click Here!

9. Clonefarmer

Clonefarmer Millepora

Yes, the container of Kalkwasser must be higher than the spot the dripper is located to create the siphon.

I make sure to rinse the slurry out every time I mix a new batch. To keep the drip constant and steady I alternate between two containers. When one container gets low I mix a batch in the other and allow it to settle.

My system is about 36 gallons total.

10. brannock_16

brannock_16 Ritteri Anemone

Hey clonefarmer thanks for the speedy reply! I am going to be building a drip today made from a 1 gallon container.

I had one final question for you...since my tank is roughly 3-4 times greater in volume than yours (including 40 G sump that is roughly half filled) should I start out with 3-4 tsp or should I start at 1-2 at a drip of 1 drop per 3-4 seconds and gradually build up to the larger dosage at a quicker drip rate?

And when you started out at a drip every 3-4 seconds how long did you wait until you increased your drip rate to a drip per second?

Thanks in advance,

Robert

11. Clonefarmer

Clonefarmer Millepora

Kalkwasser reaches saturation at about 2 tsp per gallon. Any more than that will just settle out and be wasted.

I would suggest starting slow and testing to see how much to drip.

I waited till I tested and saw the Alkalinity drop (I tested for Alk daily while starting the drip). I then increased the drip a little and waited till testing again to see if the Alk dropped. I repeated this till the Alk remained steady.

I also tested for ph to make sure the kalk wasn't raising it too high.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2011