drilling all glass 90

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by tulare reef, Nov 30, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Marlin65

Marlin65 Astrea Snail

DSC01830.JPG

DSC01832.JPG
    Here is what they look like.
    I just found out though that it could be tempered and not have the logo on it.

2. Click Here!

3. tulare reef

tulare reef Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

thanks for the info now all i have to do is make up my mind on to move and put it back together like it is now or order a dimond drill bit.

4. Reefdiver72

Reefdiver72 Feather Duster

Diamond drill bits on ebay are cheap and work very well considering most bits only last about 5 holes depending on thickness. there hong kong but for the price you cant beat them.

5. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Like I told someone after yr in the building trades and working on cars as a old 60's muscle car gear head :) I was around when most of all the law suits started and it was put under the DOT to control it .. Car's and Any plate glass for a home or building construction . Since the materials always cross state lines it fall's under the DOT's control . Fish tanks as with 99% of any pet stuff has little if any Federal regulations to control it. Thats even applies to truth in advertising like with phytoplankton and all the super duper fish products , Its buyer beware..

6. Froc3

Froc3 Fire Goby

Just finished drilling my 40g.. i know, it's small but i wanted to do so i knew how when i upgraded. It's actually as easy as making sure the tank is level, going slow, finding the right spot. I used a variable speed drill press, but a variable speed drill will work too. You have to keep the bit spinning pretty slow. I used plumbers puddy and made a little dam around the bit and poured water in the there to keep the bit dry. However, a 40g has much thinner glass and you probably wont be doing a 1" hole. So as some have said the oil lubricant is probably needed... i've been trying to get pics of mine up but my camera wont take pics that are small enough to post on the forums :(

7. Froc3

Froc3 Fire Goby

Oh, and if you're drilling the side.. i suggest one of the smaller pieces of glass ;) just in case... it's cheaper :p

8. Click Here!

9. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

next time use oil it will add life to the bit and lubricates better as well as cools

I use 3&1 oil or old cooking vegetable oil.

1 person likes this.
  10. glampka

glampka Coral Banded Shrimp