Drilling a Tank

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by GoToSleep, Aug 23, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

You are quite correct that it isn't necessary. However, for several years Oceanic made tanks where all of the glass was tempered.

Also, read this thread. http://www.3reef.com/aquarium-page-Content-viewarticle-37.html

2. Click Here!

3. GoToSleep

GoToSleep Torch Coral

Joe originally told me that Marineland now stocked 300g tanks but it was Scott over off 360 that told me about the tempering.

4. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

I'll call Richard for you he will dig to the bottom :) I would doubt all panels are tempered myself ? Perfecto did that on many tanks there are a few up here I'll ask also.. Did you check with Glass Gages : there is a place in N.J we had a 700 made about 4 hrs from you ..I'll get that info if you want it ? I have a call into Richard now, He or Scott will call me back.

5. GoToSleep

GoToSleep Torch Coral

I've seen Glass Cages web site. I don't think they had anything this big as a stock tank. I'm trying to save a little bit of money were I can. Lord knows I'll have plenty of other opportunites to spend it.

6. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

Glass cages have glass tanks up to 500 gallon in rimmed tanks as stock and up to 240 in rimless tanks. They only go up to 300 in acrylic though. They will also work with you on a custom tanks but be prepared to pay a really good sized chunk of change for one of them. And if your close enough to be able to pick up your tank its the best way to go....

I got into this conversation before on another site. I got to take a tour of the PPG plant here in Illinois. Tempered glass is very easy to make and as far as they know no one pours glass with holes in them. the holes are drilled then the glass is put in an oven for several hours then the over is turned off and the glass is left to cool down naturally. when it comes out it is tempered.

I know that there are a few brands out there that used to temper all the panels in the tank because I have repaired a few of them over the years. But I don't think anyone is doing it now. I tend to agree with tangster that maybe the tank was an all glass tank. Here's a link to a page on the Aqueon/All glass site that gives info on which tanks have tempered bottoms and the tank measurements on tanks from 2.5 to thier 210.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2008
  7. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

I drilled my 50 gallon aga myself. 5 holes in the back of a 50 (3 for cls and 2 overflow) I drilled my overflow towards the top and made the overflow out of a single piece of 1 inch pvc across the whole back of the tank. This tank is an aga btw.

8. Click Here!

9. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

Yup, Oceanic, All-Glass and Top-Fin temper the bottoms. Trying to drill it will result in shattering the glass. If you can get past drilling it without shattering, it will be very prone to spiderweb cracking and having the entire bottom falling out from under you. I wanted to drill my 150G, and figured 2000lbs of fish, water, sand and rock on my floor did not outweigh the benefits of having an in-tank overflow.

10. ardo_ski

ardo_ski Peppermint Shrimp

I purchased the 150 gallon from Marineland (Deep Dimension Line) and had them move the overflow and drill a single drain hold rather than the 2 one inch holes. . They did it for $50 additional.

11. ssgheislerswife

ssgheislerswife Ritteri Anemone

Perfecto Aquariums are made with 100% tempered glass. They all have warnings on them not to drill the tanks.

Just an FYI!

Marineland will move the overflows wherever you want them for a very minimal fee, so will deep sea aquatics.

12. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

Perfecto tanks are now made by marineland, here is a link to the Spec Sheets on thier standard tanks, The link to thier special tanks, thier Corner Flow Tanks.

I find it reall interesting that in their standard line the only one that is tempered on all panels is the 55 gall....

Here is the link to the Aqueon / All-Glass Aquarium spec sheets.