Drilling a Tank

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by GoToSleep, Aug 23, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. GoToSleep

GoToSleep Torch Coral

Well I heard something interesting today. I'm looking at getting a MarineLand 6'x3' 300gal tank which they have recently started carrying as a stock tank (not custom, so big savings). Unfortunately, it comes standard drilled with overflows in both back corners and I'm planning a peninsula set-up now that reading Otty's tank thread has ruined me for anything more mundane. Anyway, I was talking with LFS owner and wondered aloud if MarineLand would sell an undrilled tank at stock tank cost. LFS said that we could not drill it ourselves because the bottom is tempered:confused::eek::confused:. How can this be? I always assumed that if a tank had been drilled, you knew that the glass was not tempered and you should be able to drill it yourself if you needed some more holes. LFS claims that Marineland drills the tank bottoms and then tempers the glass after the fact. If I can get direct confirmation of this from MarineLand, I'll update here. In the mean time, it's just one more thing to make me nervous about drilling a tank (Otty's got me thinking closed loop and OM4, too)

2. Click Here!

3. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Don't drill the bottom then just do the sides towards the bottom. I have a Perfecto tank and the bottom is tempered on it so I just drilled the sides.

4. GoToSleep

GoToSleep Torch Coral

Scott,
    I can't remember. Are all of your holes throught the side?

5. ReefPlayground

ReefPlayground 3reef Sponsor

I believe your LFS is accurate regarding how marineland drills its holes. All-Glass / Oceanic does the same thing if I recall correctly

6. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Yep all 8 of them.

7. KOgle

KOgle Zoanthid

Psh, 8 holes... ::)

8. Click Here!

9. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Was it Joe over at F/W that said that ? What happens at the factory they pour the glass in a mold with the holes casted into it then pour the bottom then they cool and then heat and temper it . But Nope Tempered glass is not drllable go through the sides Oceanaics had tanks with un tempered bottom panes /panels

10. glampka

glampka Coral Banded Shrimp

Some manufacturers use tempered glass even for the walls. I just scored a used 55 that a neighbor was throwing out - warning tag on the bottom of the tank - Do not drill - all glass is tmepered.

11. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

I could be wrong, but I've never seen a tank with all panes tempered. It's simply not necessary.

Are you sure you weren't reading a label saying that the glass was tempered with the All Glass company name on it? :)

12. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

ive seen some of the cheaper brands use tempered glass all the way around, dunno why but ive seen weirder stuff that makes no sense at all before to