Drastic Measures

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by gythwulf, Jul 28, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

This has not been my experience but you might get lucky.

2. Click Here!

3. ssgheislerswife

ssgheislerswife Ritteri Anemone

Oh No!!! You kill everything on it. You can either boil it, or soak it in a tub with a 50/50 Bleach/RO solution and then neutralize the bleach with some Arm and Hammer, and then rinse...rinse...rinse. There's a thread called "reusing old live rock" that goes through the procedure of nuking rock. Sorry to confuse you.

4. gythwulf

gythwulf Feather Duster

Just found this post on another forum:

Thoughts?

5. gythwulf

gythwulf Feather Duster

So no one knows about royal urchins eating bryopsis?

6. gythwulf

gythwulf Feather Duster

So, I decided not to nuke my tank at all. I still might take out the one rock and scrub it down, and maybe drop it in fresh water for awhile, but that'd be it. In fact, I just put two damsels in it because my dad wouldn't stop complaining about there being no fish in it so I finally said "Okay, but you're paying for them, not me". If he wants to risk losing an investment, it's on him, not me >< (though, I did buy a peppermint shrimp for the aiptasia I have, so we'll see whether or not that was a good idea).

edit: Forgot to mention that my dad funded half of the expense for my aquarium, so he does have leverage.

7. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

Good thing i paid for all mine and my dad has no leverage, otherwise id have 20 snowflake eels and 30 lionfish XD

8. Click Here!

9. gythwulf

gythwulf Feather Duster

I want to get a snowflake eel, but I also don't want missing inhabitants, even if it's likely just crabs ><

10. gythwulf

gythwulf Feather Duster

Sorry for the bad pic, but here are the two fish I added:

[​IMG]

edit: For clarification, I googled images of the two fish I have

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Buddy if the urchin ate it then its not bryopsis more like maidens hair or some other algae . Nothing have been found yet to eat the stuff and live if it was a Urchin then bet you bippy that they would be tossing them is the Mediterranean and Off the cost of Hawaii and California .

What are the parameters of you water ? Especially the DKH ? if the pictures of the two Damsels are in your tank ? then I can see the DKH is way way way low. Most alga's like you are fighting do not do well in good water.. It like softer acidic and low ca.waters . Get the Magnesium to 1500 and the DKH to 12 to 14 and the calcium up to 450 and keep it clean and cut back on feeding and get that P04 reactor running and test them PO4's What are you using for the PO4 reactor as a media Iron oxide or aluminum oxide based media ? what is the levels when you test the PO4's and get rid of the sun light looking bulbs and run some better ones if thats your tank pictures. what lighting do you use P/C's M/H T5's ? Your alga is fixable :) How many snails in total do you have in this tank and what size tank is it ?

12. gythwulf

gythwulf Feather Duster

I'm pretty sure the light you see in my tank is the flash from my camera. Also, I'm keeping the lights off unless I am looking at my fish for now, but the lights are the stock red sea max lights. Furthermore, I need to get a kit to measure my phosphates, so I'll have to get back to you on that, and the other stuff. I am pretty sure my calc is up though. It's not pictured, but all of the bryopsis is dead at the moment from lack of light.