Drastic Measures

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by gythwulf, Jul 28, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. gythwulf

gythwulf Feather Duster

Before I go forward with this, I want to get a few opinions, but as of now, I am considering taking my uncured rock and trying seeing if somehow I can return it for store credit or just get rid of it all together and buying cured rock, because this has been a big headache so far. In addition to bryopsis, it looks like I have at least 3-4 aiptasia growing on my rocks, and something I can't even identify. Bellow are a few pictures:

Needs ID, but doesn't look good
    [​IMG]

I circled in red what I believe is aiptasia - Sorry the image lighting/clearity is bad, but you can kinda make out the shape anyway, i think
    [​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

That is one reason why I don't put cured, uncured or any rock in my tank until I nuke if first. All your doing is adding someone else's problems to your tank.

Sorry to say that is has nothing to do with being cured or not. Buy base rock and let mother nature cure it for you. Just take a little longer but people don't seem to have patience for this hobby. They think it should be like a drive up window at GreaseDonalds. I want a saltwater tank to go, biggie size!

4. gythwulf

gythwulf Feather Duster

Well if I nuke the rock, how is coralline and other beneficial stuff supposed to grow on it without a source? Would I use purple-up or something similar?

5. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

can't see anything in the bottom pic but the top one has little strings on it does it pull bits of sand up like on a conveyor belt. if yes, then it's ok a sand sifting worm of sorts

6. gythwulf

gythwulf Feather Duster

That bit in the foreground is not sand, it's another rock. It's at least 3 inches above the sand bed.

7. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Bacteria will grow if you have fish in the tank. Coralline will come with time, steady parameters and a good actinic light source.

8. Click Here!

9. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Purple up = Waste of money. Do your water changes, go slow, watch your numbers and it will grow, as Otty stated.

10. gythwulf

gythwulf Feather Duster

How would nuking my rocks/sand affect the cycling process? (basically, in terms of how long my tank would take to cycle with nuked rock vs uncured rock). Aslo, after I nuke my rock/sand, should I invest in live sand? I kinda want to replace my sand bed with a finer aggregate anyway.

11. PorkyBubs

PorkyBubs Spaghetti Worm

12. gythwulf

gythwulf Feather Duster

They are a very aggressive species of anemone.