Urgent Drain sump noise !

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by mails2thiagu, May 2, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mails2thiagu

mails2thiagu Feather Duster

This weekend I am moving 120g inside living room and yesterday checking complete leak test. noticed when water enters sump from drain, it's like niagara falls flowing in my sump [​IMG]

how do I fix noise? I did following already and they didn't help.

1. added multiple elbows to drain
    2. overflow has "h" pipe and hole on top, this is awesome, zero noise on overflow. but drain to sump still same noise.
    3. added ball valve to return pump to reduce flow, that didn't help.
    4. tried submerging drain pipe 1" inch below water and above , didn't help.

thinking of adding ball valve to drain not sure if that helps. added pics of drain/sump and overflow, Please help !!

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. FatBastad

FatBastad Zoanthid

Don't add a ball valve to your drain. Add a ball valve to your return side to controll how much water going back into your tank.

I use a filter sock to controll the bubbles and niagara falls.

4. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Google 'Reverse Durso'

The answer to your riddle lies in the reverse durso young man!

For real- you need a reverse durso on the lower return to the sump.
    Play with the size holes in the vent caps too

5. mails2thiagu

Thank you...so to implment reverse durso in my setup, I just need to add Tee with long cap with holes instead of last elbow right?

6. diverdan

diverdan Bangghai Cardinal

Todd beat me to it. But then again it was Todd who told me about the reverse durso. I have 2 on my system and it quoted everything down perfectly and is completely silent now.
    So +1 to the reverse durso.
    Again I must say Todd is the man!

7. diverdan

diverdan Bangghai Cardinal

Quieted not quoted.

8. Click Here!

9. mails2thiagu

well, i am not sure if I did it 100% but this is what I tried and doesn't help much. removed last elbow and added Tee with small pipe point up. sound reduced considerably but every 20-30 seconds , sounds comes again.

do i need to use cap on top of Tee and drill holes? keeping it open is not enough?

10. Dr. Bergeron

Dr. Bergeron Peppermint Shrimp

Think of water noise in a reef setup as 3 different "parts":
    1. Noise from water falling over your weir into your overflow
    2. Noise from water being sucked into your pipe
    3. Noise from water going into sump

noise from 3 is determined by the amount of *air* being sucked into the pipe from 2. Noise from 1 is easily controlled by raising or lowering the inlet of your pipe in 2.

I personally run a calfo overflow on my aquarium, but that requires 3 holes drilled into your glass, which you may not have the ability to do. More info here:
    BeanAnimal's Bar and Grill - Silent and Fail-Safe Overflow System

also, it looks like you have a corner overflow, see this picture of my old reef tank, notice the water level in the corner overflow. This was pretty quiet.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 2, 2013
  11. mightyrae

mightyrae Spaghetti Worm

Hard for me to say without being there to see. What I think is that the drain speed does not match the return speed. If the return speed is too fast for the drain you get noise because the water is not draining at a steady speed. Fatbastd has it correct in that if you ball valve the return side this should balance the drain/return. Never ball valve the drain as something permanent. I run my drain full speed and match the pump to that.

The same thing happened to me when i set up my durso. I thought there must be something wrong with the way I made it. Too high or too low, I couldnt figure it out. All I had to do is slow the return line a small amount and complete silence after that.

12. mails2thiagu

Thanks everyone. i am able to fix issue after replacing my return pump. I went with less gph pump and it did trick. adding ball valve to stronger pump didn't help though