Drain or Overflow?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by somethingfishy, Oct 8, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

In the LFS, do their drains run down to the floor? or do they run lengthwise behind the tanks into the filtration?

The slurping sound is cause by (from what I am told) the air coming up the tube as water is trying to go down. Can you stick rigid airline tubing (perhaps even the soft tubing) down into the line a bit and see if that lets the air out?

2. Click Here!

3. somethingfishy

somethingfishy Purple Spiny Lobster

Well the LFS has the piping running both ways. They have a Display tank with the drain running strait down. This tank dosn't make noise like mine.

I placed air line in there an it stopped but I don't want to leave it like this.

As far as it overflowing if I had waited any longer it would have got my carpet wet. I find this nerve racking too but it is nessecery.

4. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

[quote author=somethingfishy link=board=Filters;num=1097282562;start=0#11 date=10/28/04 at 18:33:15]

I placed air line in there an it stopped but I don't want to leave it like this.

[/quote]

Why not?

5. somethingfishy

Well I solved my problem [smiley=trampoline.gif]. It was quite simple actually and I can't believe I made this mistake. The drain hose had a loop in it which was causing air to get trapped. This is a problem with overflow it caused water surges in the overflow box. Anyway the water would rise and my tank would overflow before the air would purge itself. It is a mistake that I think everyone should take note off. My drain is now quieter that my pump.

I've enclosed a diagram to help show the problem.

Attached Files:

6. somethingfishy

sorry diagram was a little bit off

Attached Files:

7. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Cool! Glad Problem Solved! 8)