Dr.Tims Pearls VS BRS bio pellets

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by proreefer, Nov 9, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

Pellets don't release carbon in to the system. They are a substrate/food source for the bacteria that uses the pellets.

2. Click Here!

3. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

You can test organic carbon, but the equipments is in the tens of thousands of dollars :) There are some cheaper tests, but they do not work. However, there are companies that will test it for you accurately. For example: ENC LABS. I think the test is $34 per test, but I don't think that includes shipping.

ENC Labs - Chemical Analysis and Consulting - Fee Schedule

4. proreefer

proreefer Feather Star

i'm not a chemist, some say it does some say it don't. i'll leave it to the more chemical minded, i'm just an old country boy trying to make it in a big ol world.

5. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

You can't get bacterial blooms in the water without release of carbon. As a very high proportion of BP users report cloudy water, especially when starting, it is clear they do release some carbon into the water, regardless of manufactures claims to the contrary. A quick internet search though provides endless examples of this occurring.

1 person likes this.
  6. mati_L

mati_L Fire Shrimp

well from test i heard that some might have out breaks within the first few days but once the pelletes grow enough bacteria it will all become stable and gone... its not a rapid result takes a few weeks

7. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

It seems to be more common in the first few days, which I agree seems to mean that there are bacteria consuming the carbon, which very well could be limiting the carbon released into the system. It could be something else though. Some have certainly reported blooms latter in usage as well, although certainly less common. Perhaps it's a usage issue, or perhaps there is more too it than people think. The idea that they will not release carbon is purely theoretical, and has never been demonstrated, for example.

IME, with other carbon dosing, such as vodka or vinegar dosing, blooms seem to more common when first starting or changing dosages too. Once you reach a consistent level, they are much less common. So, there are other reasons that you may not seem blooms once things stabilize.

However, as to whether or not BP can release carbon, it appears they can; under what conditions, that remains unknown. Also, the other issues I've described previously seem to occur throughout usage for many. So, I'm skeptical that they are "safer" than vodka/vinegar. Lately, I have been hearing a lot more complaints about BP than other carbon sources, but of course, that could just be because more people are using them, so there are more people to complain. Nevertheless, as there are so many complaints, you do have to question the "safety" factor. One problem might be that you can't really control the dosage. Another may be that people aren't using them correctly. Another may be that the sugar monomer intermediates really are an issue etc...

BP theoretically may be safer though, and can work quite well. Also, it may be easier to use in many systems, especially if used without a dosing pump. So, if people feel better about it for those reasons, then, they are definitely a fine way to go. They can work and can work well. Just don't go into it thinking they are completely "safe". They are well documented to produce the same issues as any other forms of carbon dosing in some cases.

8. Click Here!

9. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

Bacterial bloom in the beginning. Here is a theory, the pellets are rubbing against each other creating a fine pellet dust in the packaging and until there is bacteria on the pellets to prevent pellet on pellet erosion. When the pellets are put in use, the dust is rinsed from the pellets and enter the water column causing the bloom. After those carbon particles are used by the bacteria, no more bloom.

It is not a constant reappearance of a bloom.

10. mati_L

mati_L Fire Shrimp

Thanks for the information! and i agree that BP may seem easier since it is something you kinda set and forget while vodka is dosing and time but "safer" well i wouldn't really call it that. Nothing is really safe because they all have their risks but BP is also something new that companies started to jump on the bandwagon so we dont even really know what is going into them, if they actually did testing lol i know there is a few people here that went from cleaning the glass daily to only once a week or so, it works but i also agree that how you use them is vital...Proper flow to get a good tumble and starting with a minimal amount is important. This couple that have a nice little frag farm at their house where i buy my frags use the BP in a two little fishies reactor and they seem to just love it, and i agree their coral has beautiful color everytime and they have no algee growing.

Im going to give it a try on my new tank, but i want to find the best pellet yet not pay with my arm and leg for this stuff lol

11. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

I couldn't decide between Dr. Tim's Pearls or WM EcoBak for a while. The main reason I chose Dr. Tim's was because of the price. I have been using the pellets for about 2 months now and have seen a slow decrease of algae, but I did have a cyano issue in a small spot of my tank that disappeared in about 5 days about 2 weeks ago. I needed a total of 255ml of pellets in my reactor. I added 1/4 of this dose every 1.5 weeks and had no bloom at all. I also soaked the pellets in ro/di water before use.

All of the "horror" stories I have read about pellets is due to:

1) users putting the entire dose in at once
    2) getting anxious and adding more then the needed total dose
    3) pellets not tumbling properly and getting stuck together

I have yet to read a single account of a crash caused by pellets when they were used properly.

12. mati_L

mati_L Fire Shrimp

soo with proper use, we have a first hand experiance here lol so you like Dr.Tim's?