Dr.Tims Pearls VS BRS bio pellets

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by proreefer, Nov 9, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. proreefer

proreefer Feather Star

as i research these two great products i would like to know if they are the same or different in material, they appear to be made out of the same stuff???

2. Click Here!

3. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

4. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

5. nedim

nedim Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Made in Iowa? Hell yea lol. Can you put those pellets in the BRS reactor where GFO goes?

6. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Dr. Tim describes the difference here:
    http://www.3reef.com/forums/drtims-aquatics/drtims-introduces-np-active-pearls-122114.html

Basically they are the same material, but Dr. Tims is pure; certified by the American Society of Testing and Materials ASTM for marine biodegradability. I think BRS may use some filler, but otherwise is the same material. I'm still not sold on pellets in general, but of the ones on the market, they definitely sound appealing. For now I'm sticking with vodka and vinegar though :)

7. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

You can put them in there, but you will want to replace the sponge pad with a piece of mesh. Which you can get at Micheal's or Hobby Lobby. BRS actually makes a reactor for bio-pellets and the insert is different than their regular reactor, you might want to try to see if they will just sell the insert by itself.

8. Click Here!

9. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

They do:

10. proreefer

proreefer Feather Star

Natural VS Man Made

As being in this hobby for a little while now, losing my share of coral, biopellets are starting to look better and better. I'm an SPS lover, 80% of my tanks contain SPS yes, i have believed in the past that natural is the way to go but, i'm starting to think well, maybe natural by itself isn't enough because of sometimes losing coral that i love and not really knowing why? The truth is reef tanks are not natural they are a closed ocean in the living room and a ever evolving hobby so, pellets are on my mind, the research i've done so far seems to lead that they can save coral. well I guess a little more time will tell.:)

11. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

I don't know about saving corals. Carbon dosing, such as BP can help increase growth rates and coloration of corals by reducing nutrients. It's a delicate balance though. In fact after numerous studies, inorganic nutrients such as nitrate and phosphate have not been shown to be strongly associated with coral mortality (if associated at all). On the other hand organic carbon has. BP is a source of organic carbon. Now, in reality, high or low levels of organic carbon can be bad. It's also been shown that our systems, if well filtered, tend to be low in organic carbon. The ideal amount seems to be around 1ppm. However, we can't test for organic carbon levels, so, it can be a tricky balance. Too much probably is significantly worse than too little. BP or other carbon sources are a useful tool, but not a magic bullet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. proreefer

proreefer Feather Star

hi m,i respect your thoughts on matters very much so, what you are saying is bp wouldn't be a beneficial factor in coral feeding and sps growth and our nitrate control should be through low feedings and water changes without chemical presents alone.