Dough, Bought a hurting fish

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by cpandrewschmidt, Oct 31, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cpandrewschmidt

cpandrewschmidt Astrea Snail

Hi, I just bought my first clowns for my tank and didn't even notice at the store that ones fins are in pretty bad shape.  I just must have been so excited to get my first real fish.  Is there any way for him to power through it.  The one clown is fine, but there is a yellow tail damsel that might cause some trouble.  Guess I should have looked closer.  They are tank rasied so I hope he will be tough.  Anything I could do.  I don't have a quaritine tank but might pick on up if I would help.  What do I all need.  I think a 10 gal, PCV tube and filter.  What about light.  Guess I will have to see what happens.  Thanks.

Andrew

2. Click Here!

3. somethingfishy

somethingfishy Purple Spiny Lobster

Re: Dough, Bought a hurthing fish

Well the fish that I see in the store with fin problems normally have fin rot. Seeing as you didn't describe the ailment I will assume it is probably fin rot. Does the fin look tattered/frayed? Fin rot is curable I would do it in a Quarantine Tank and use some melafix according to manufactures directions.

The light wouldn't be a bad Idea but not necessary. It is hard to observe the condition of the fish without a light.

4. cpandrewschmidt

Re: Dough, Bought a hurthing fish

yep, i think it would be fin rot. I am pretty new to this so I don't know about different conditions. Thanks for the response. Should i not treat it in the main tank? I would take a pic but it is hard for me to get the picture to the allowable size. Ill see what I can do.

Andrew

5. somethingfishy

I try not to treat the main tank. If you are going to use melafix you will probably be alright. My only concern would be the live rock. It is supposed to be invert safe for what its worth. It you have the option to use a QT I would use one.

6. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

You should be fin using melafix in your fish only setup. Turn off your skimmer for a day or two.

My immediate concern is overstocking in the 30 gallon. Three fish is the max for sure if not overcrowding. You have to allow room for the adult size of the fish. The rule of thumb is 1" of adult fish per 5 gallons. Your clowns will approach 6" as individual adults. 7 lbs of LR is not much biolfiltration for youe tyank. 1 to 1.5 lbs per gallon would be much better.

7. cpandrewschmidt

8. Click Here!

9. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Well as you didn't indicate what type of clowns, I had to assume the larger species. Yes, two True Perculas would be a total of 6" - 8" as adults. I have sen them 4+" at public aquarium.

I used the Melafix on a full reef, your crabs should be fine.

10. cpandrewschmidt

Ok, thanks a ton. Looks like I will treat my little Nemo (litterally :) ) It will probably be a while before I add any new fish, I would like to get the damsel out of there and I tried for about 30 mins and gave up. Oh well, I really hope to add another fish or two. For christmas I am going to ask for a Magnum 250 canaster with the bio wheel so hopefully that will help control my levels. Also, I am going to add new live rock in a bit. I am always up for suggestions as this is my first crack at it.

Andrew

PS, be proud I was actually patient enough to wait 2.5 months for my tank to finally cycle

11. somethingfishy

This is a qoute from the back of the Melafix label (you have to peel the label off).

"Melafix can be used with all marine aquarium fish. Melafix has been tested and found to be safe in reef aquariums containing invertebrates, such as live coral and anemones."

According to this statment I would say your crabs will be fine.  I have used Melafix in an aquarium with a fresh water crayfish before with no problem.

12. beamer

beamer Sea Dragon

What is Melafix?

Cindy