Doubling light output

Discussion in 'T5 Aquarium Lighting' started by PghSteeler, Apr 8, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

Only have a dual bulb T5Ho fixture on my 46 bowfront. Its the aquaticlife linkable fixture that I have had for about a year now. I want to add a second fixture for a total of 4 bulbs since I feel that dual bulb might be OK but not optimal for my mixed reef. Also with 2 units the coverage will be much better and I will have many more lighting options.

When I add a second unit should do I need to worry about acclimating? Right now I run with the dual bulb from 11A-10:30P for an 11 1/2hour photoperiod. Should I run the new second unit for only a few hours and increase the photoperiod weekly until they are the same or should I just throw it on the the normal lighting routine so all 4 bulbs come on an off at the same time from the get go. I am tempted to just buy the quad unit so I could run the blue bulbs seperate from the white bulbs but hate to just spend all that extra cash.

2. Click Here!

3. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

With twice the current light output, yes you will need to acclimate.

4. PghSteeler

That is what I assumed, it seems that when we mention acclimating to new lighting on here we talk about changed from T5 to LED but never adding additional T5 bulbs.

What would be a good acclimation method? Im thinking of reducing my photoperiod from 11A-10:30P and making it 12P-10:30P (10.5 instead of 11.5 hours might be better?) As for adding the other two bulbs having that fixture turn on for only 4 hours or so for a week and adding 2 hours a week for 3 weeks? Is that too fast? Is 4 bulbs on almost 11 hours a day too much maybe make the second fixture only go on for 6 hours a day while the other runs for 10.5??

Tank is 19inches deep and I have elegance, frogspawn, hammer, xenia, zoas, birdsnest, stylophora, montis, etc.

5. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

I agree. I am acclimating my tank to metal halides and what I did was add 3 sheets screening to reduce intensity. I will pull one each week. Shortening the photo period is good, but I might also raise the two units a a few inches and move them down over time.

Out of curiosity, what's the price of buying a 4-bulb unit versus another 2-bulb?

6. PghSteeler

A 4 bulb is on sale for $300 vs another 2 bulb for $105. Even with buying 2 2 bulbs that leaves me at 210, $90 less. Would be nice to have the 2 led moonlights and having the 1st and 3rd bulbs on one timer and the 2nd and 4th on another vs 1st and 2nd on one and 3rd and 4th on another but not worth the money IMO. Plan on upgrading down the road to a larger tank with LEDs as the main light and t5ho as accent lighting anyway