Don't Rub Your Eyes After Handling Zoanthids/Palythoa

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by inwall75, Sep 30, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

[​IMG]

Day 9 s/p exposure to neurotoxin, day 5 of 60mg prednisone. Good things my dogs are fast.........no extra energy from pred, however I can eat anything/everything in this house. Luckily I knew this was going to happen so I didnt bring a bunch of junk in here and cant drive myself to store......but the dogs are starting to look yummy!
    Eye is looking/feeling better. The reddness seems to come back the longer the day goes on and more I use it. You can clearly see the ulcerations in the eye, dont think those have changed much. I am thinking I have some more peripheral vision on the left side of the eye (where ulcer is not) and feeling some better today. I still cant sit and watch tv, computer much or else I get this horrid headache on my left eye/head area. Hoping to get back to work sometime this week..........just keep healing, just keep healing!! Sucks to be out sick when you cant even watch tv or computer for longer than 30 min at a time!!!

2. Click Here!

3. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

did they suggest an eye patch or anything?

4. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

yeah, finally can wear an eye patch on the affected eye. Problem is, I have something also called [STRIKE]irisitis (???)[/STRIKE] iridocyclitis uveitis (????) where the light on my good eye causes pain in my bad eye also. Doctor said everything is so close ot each other that this is normal. Just makes it very sensitive to light/strain

I look like a pirate! Ready for halloween. Took the dogs for a walk today, have their sweaters on and my eye patch on with sunglasses........must of been a sight!

NOTE: Post edited because this thread is intended to be informational in case someone else is affected by this in the future.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2012
  5. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

lol its good to have a sense of humor about these things. Just keep getting better and checking in, I know my family's thoughts are with you!

6. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

thank you all so much!!!!!! I truley appreciate all the good thoughts!

7. alkutchman

alkutchman Plankton

that must have been a jalapeno polyp...LOL

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

ARRRR! lol, keep up the good spirits, but that sounds like cabin fever! can you read books at least?

Keep up the fight, and nice Dori reference;)

10. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

no, not able to read yet. Getting a little better on watching tv and internet. With the eye patch i am able to do a little more each day!!!

11. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

BTW, if you are unlucky enough to have a reaction this bad, expect to hear these questions from EVERY primary care doctor, opthamologist, etc.......REPEATEDLY!!!!! They will choose to not believe you and will come back and ask their question in a different way the next time. One doctor asked her so many times, "Are you SURE you didn't.....", that he didn't know how close he was getting to see just how angry I can become.

Here are the questions;

• Do you wear contacts?
    • ARE YOU SURE YOU DON'T WEAR CONTACTS?
    • Have you swam in a stream, or lake or pond a couple weeks back?
    • Are you SURE you didn't go swimming?
    • Did you go swimming in a non-chlorinated pool?
    • Did you wear contacts while swimming in that lake, pond, stream, or unchlorinated pool?

She doesn't wear contacts, I've known her for years and I've seen her in a swimsuit exactly ONCE. Stop asking her the same questions over and over and over again. Then you go to the next Opthamologist (She has 4 or 5 of them) and they start this line of questioning over again.

Unfortunately, I know more about the human eye now than anyone ever needs to know. I do understand the contact question as well as the swimming question. The acanthamoeba Article about Eye-Eating Amoeba does the exact same thing to one's eyeball......but it takes weeks and weeks of minor irritation that most people ignore (to their own peril). Melissa's damage happened in less than 8 hours.

To my fellow 3Reefers that wear contacts, all I can say is LISTEN TO YOUR DOCTOR.....KEEP THOSE LENSES CLEAN. If I could still wear contacts, I would have 3 or 4 cases so I could nuke the unused ones in the dishwasher every couple of weeks.

12. mattb57

mattb57 Banned

lol. well I would try not to get upset with the doctors, They are just doing their job, even if it's annoying. I wear One a day contacts so I never have problems with them being dirty :D