Don't Rub Your Eyes After Handling Zoanthids/Palythoa

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by inwall75, Sep 30, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Yes they do.

Seems like scary turn of events.

I have no doubt Curt that you will get answers and take names. Have they taken any cultures? Is she on any steroids such eye drops?

If she can only see shadows it seems like it's time to admit her again.

2. Click Here!

3. mattb57

mattb57 Banned

...Wow, that really sucks. I would assume it feels much worse than pink eye. My dad is a Family Practitioner and he treats similar toxins/bacterias that live in the gulf. Most are flesh eating bacteria that usually kill you in 3 days. Normally you contract it by a small cut or under your toe nails, It's pretty common actually. Standard procedure is a shot and you're good to go. Although palytoxins are a bit different. Most people from around here are Immune to this flesh eating bacteria however; foreigners are not. I hope you get well soon.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  4. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

we got out of ed today around 530 and had an appt at 830. We were seeing an opthamologist from my insurance plan who basically had no clue what was going on. Said it shouldnt have progressed this far this fast. Right now I am technically legally blind in the left eye (couldnt see the big E on top........20/200 and was worse than that) So he sent me out of network to the university eye clinic.

Luckily my insurance is payinf for this visit. Saw 3 doctors and 8 hours later finally get to leave. They have no clue either. One of the docs saw me Saturday and was surprised on how fast it progressed. They did all sort of cultures today. There is inflamation of the cornea with fluid behind it and a large circular ulcer in my cornea irght by the pupil.

I am not overly concerned with teh loss of vision yet. The doctors dont know exactly and of course cant guarantee i will see any better once this clears. However when they dilated my eyes i was able to see around the ulcer better so I think it will be fine. They have me on some oral meds and eye drops every hour on the hour with a return appt tomorrow afternoon.

But in general the eye FEELS SO MUCH better. Still painful, still light sensitvie but in general it is better today than yesterday feeling (the doctors was very nice to tell me that it is in fact worse today........but looks and feels better to me!

5. Camkha1234

Camkha1234 Great Blue Whale

I'm glad to hear that you're feeling a bit better! I hope you get your vision back soon :)

6. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Oh jeez, sorry to see/read this.

Wishing you the best speedy recovery.

7. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Actually, I'm thankful I was there. The doctor asked her how painful it was. She said, "It's nothing like it was where I felt like I was getting stabbed in the eye and even light hurt, it doesn't feel good but it's not horrible". The doctor responded, "Oh, that's good!".

I interrupted (not my place, I know) and told the doctor to hold on and explained to him that he was NOT understanding her pain tolerance.....AT ALL!!! "One could hit her hand with a hammer and she would say, "Ow". She's a tough cookie, that's for sure. Most people would be crying and begging for the strongest painkillers known to mankind.

8. Click Here!

9. rc_mcwaters3

rc_mcwaters3 Clown Trigger

LOL sound like she might be a trooper

I am sorry to hear that it is hitting you this bad though and really hope they figure this out so you can get back to seeing with no real issues.

10. mattb57

mattb57 Banned

.....I hope once they figure out what it is, you can get the medicine you need. My aunt had to wait months for her cancer treatment, because they couldn't get a hold of the right drug for her chemotherapy. I hope you heal soon. That really sucks, especially since it's your second time! Quite a mean formula. I read the whole article on Wikipedia, it doesn't sound like they know much about how to treat it yet.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2012
  11. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Good luck! My friends vision came back, I'm sure yours will too;) Can't be a fun thing for sure, but sounds like you'll tough it out just fine. Me, I'd be whining and cussing like a drunken sailor, and then well, probably be half of that.

Stay tough.

12. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

lol.........trust me i am whinning and cursing in all reality. Trying to pretend to be tough, but in reality very scared. I honestly thought that today I would wake up and see a little more (I know it is way too fast), but instead I am even seeing less light. They eye itself looks a lot better, not as red or swollen, however when you look at the eye ball itself you can see the ulcer more clearly and it seems bigger. However I still think once this ulcer heals I will be able to see again.
    go back
    I have been on vacations since last thursday and supposed to go back on thursday. I am a little concerned because I dont think i can go back to work on Thursday. It is weird, I can be on the computer for a few minutes at time. Even with my bad eye closed, the light from the computer/tv/room hurts my good eye. Not sure I can sit in front of computer screen for 8 hours a day.

I have been VERY fortunate though. I have had so much support from people around me. Curt, well Curt (inwall) has been amazing to me! He has carted and carried for me since this happened. I dont even have to ask, he is right there with whatever I need/want. He has been so gracious sitting at all these doctors appts with me, never complaining. I have had people offer to make me or buy me dinner, take me wherever, plus all the thoughts and prayers from everyone.........i can not tell you all how much I appreciate it all