Don't Rub Your Eyes After Handling Zoanthids/Palythoa

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by inwall75, Sep 30, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Camkha1234

Camkha1234 Great Blue Whale

It's good to hear that your eye is starting to feel better! :)

2. Click Here!

3. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

going back to work tomorrow, going back to work! Ha ha ha.........never thought i would be so happy to go back to work again! My supervisor called me and I actually had to beg her to allow me to come back tomorrow even with the work release. They are worried i am pushing it..........however I do really think i am ready!

4. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

saw doctor again today............got some good news.
    Vision in eye has improved to 20/150 (much better from 6/200) and he said there is some improvement in the ulceration. Luckily we are going to keep on the same path with the new medications, and recheck on Tuesday. Did not have to have eye sewn shut today! Very excited. Finally think we are starting to see progress. Back at work and even though sensitive handling it very well!

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

That is fantastic news. Cheers Mel!

6. Jlobes

Jlobes Coral Banded Shrimp

Super awesome news!! Glad to hear you're on the road to recovery :)

7. Jlobes

Jlobes Coral Banded Shrimp

Oh yeah and thumbs up for not having to get your eye sewn shut

8. Click Here!

9. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Good news Mel.

He sounds like he must be an excellent MD.

Never heard someone so happy about going back to work lol.

10. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

today is a little rough! Lot more pain, drainage, sensitivity to light. However, with the great news yesterday, i am very encouraged that this is the nerves coming back and welcome the pain!

I think i strained it a little too much yesterday. I am trying to take the patch off at night for a little bit, and i think it might not be ready for that yet.

I have to admit, I am getting a little fearful about going back to work at the LFS. I know that this is such a fluke thing and odds of anything like this happening again are next to impossible but honestly I am thinkging about quiting it. I really havent had my hands in the tank since this happened (other than the infamous stupid water change!) Even though I am back at my real job, I havent agreed or been released to go back to the LFS simply because the lights

11. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

saw doctor today.........continues to have improvement in the eye. Very slow improvement but it is healing!

No real change in vision in the eye. He said the corneal inflammation has decreased and that the large defect has shown some improvement since last week

Keeping me on the same medicines, but lowering the steroid pills to 30mg a day. Will definately be glad to get off those!

As far as the prognosis of the eye, he is still not sure. He stated that it is still way to early to know for sure. He said that i had such a large amount of inflammation of the cornea and such a large defect that there will definately be issues with the vision. He said the amount of inflamation has caused the cornea to thin out in places and will alter the vision. He also said while the defect is healing and the amount of scar tissue will not be known for a while, the defect was so large and was centrally located that this will have a big affect on the vision also.

Still having extreme bouts of light sensitivity at times in my good eye. He said that will be there for a while, as long as i have inflamation in the bad eye. If i could just get that to go away i would be good

He is still very concerned over the nerve damage done to the cornea. There is concern that some of the nerves will not regenerate (he called that something and I honestly can not remember what it was) but said that the neurotoxin really messed with the eye.

He said he cant say what the treatment will be yet, discussed corneal transplant again. Still stressed way to early to know which is good. Luckily i have talked with some people at work and they know people who have had transplants and not had a long recovery time away from work.......so that makes me feel happy! While i am healing this ulcer, i can build up my vacation time for the surgery. If it is only a week or so, i can get it done early next year or so! But still shooting for corrective lenses only!

12. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Congrats on the continued improvement and getting back to work. Hope the pace picks up and the damage is minimal at worst.