Does your aquarium make your room smell?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by coyle, Mar 15, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

most of those would destroy your tank in a matter of days ...:oops:

2. Click Here!

3. saints fan 420

saints fan 420 Expensive Colorful Sticks

my room has never smelled and i have two tanks in it..but there is something that does make my room smell a little bit like a skunk..lol

1 person likes this.
  4. SAY

SAY Ocellaris Clown

how often do you empty your skimmer cup? you might empty it daily if you don't already.

5. coyle

coyle Bristle Worm

No to all of these, though I do have the carbon but haven't used it yet, I'll do so in the morning. Instead of a skimmer I've just been using chaeto in the sump, but this week I set my sump back up, I had it floating around in the dt. I've been feeding brine shrimp and the live rock was right from the gulf, and I've had a bit of die off. Speaking of those air fresheners I tried sterilizing the room with my ozone generator and had a massive die off that I suspected was caused by the ozone but it could've been nitrates spiked from accumulation of waste since the chaeto wasn't set up right. I mean I had dead copepods floating around, it was bad; but yeah even though I did a big water change and have the nitrates down there's certainly some dead organic matter in there, but not outside the tank and the sump is clean. I heard something negative about UV lights but it's sounding pretty good right about now. At least I know that the smell isn't normal to having a saltwater aquarium and it's just something temporary. That's encouraging. Thanks!

6. PetMother

PetMother Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

I have my 55 right in my living room and it doesn't smell either. Hope you can figure it out soon. :)

7. TBELT

TBELT Ritteri Anemone

I have a 180 and no smells from the tank. However when my 2 dogs get in the pond on the next property HOLY COW does it stink. You would think they went into a sewer, really though no oders. Hope you figure it out.

8. Click Here!

9. Zoanthids21

Zoanthids21 McKoscker’s Flasher Wrasse

Most of the time when a tank smells, it means it needs a water change most likely! My tank smells great! (Sometimes.)

10. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

three most common sources of smell that I have found:
    skimmer
    algae
    flatworms (planaria)- these guys smell TERRIBLE when they die, like i cant even explain how bad they smell

11. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

yes smell is not normal. from what your saying, i would say put the carbon in and when you can get a skimmer.
    i have chaeto in my sump/refug also. it helps with the who eco thing but doesnt do what a skimmer does.

12. coyle

coyle Bristle Worm

Ok, probably just waited too long to do a water change after adding the live rock; my chaeto does a good job cleaning the water of nitrates but I guess that's only when it's got that cfl on it (tired but think it's like 7k) the actinics aren't right for that stuff. It's already smelling better I think.
    Where would you suggest I put that bag of carbon; could it go in the overflow? I'm searching for a uv sterilizer as well, does it matter what kind? Also, my dilemma with a skimmer is where to put it? the middle chamber has chaeto, the first one I'm going to do a dsb in and the third one would just overskim that chamber so what can I do? I guess I could forget the dsb or do it in the dt and use that first chamber which is something like 6x10 about 10" deep and there's maybe 18" clearance; know of any skimmers that would fit in there. Thank you.