Does your aquarium make your room smell?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by coyle, Mar 15, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

In the next room is fine. It took along time for some individuals to figure out what was poisoning their tanks and low and behold it was the air freshners, who would have guess right!

2. Click Here!

3. fischkid2

fischkid2 Dirty Filter Sock

What kind of food are you feeding? If its a dry food that stuff can smell pretty bad. Any additives that may be sitting in the stand that can be releasing some bad smells? Way back when b4 i used RODI and used a water conditioner that bottle smelled real bad... Maybe something died under you stand ect..?

4. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

I'd say as long as there's nothing circulating too much air like floor/ceiling fans, a/c etc. it'd be safe in another room. My wife killed a bunch of stuff off in my tank with carpet freshener and a vacuum once. I can't remember where I read the story about air freshener (it may have been from inwall75) but a woman was losing stuff all of the time and had one in an outlet in the same room as the tank.

5. CallMeIshmael

CallMeIshmael Astrea Snail

mine stunk once but it was because i left a cup of brine shrimp under my tank for a week

6. ibefishy

ibefishy Montipora Capricornis

What exactly does it smell like? I have strong a smell from the skimmer collection cup and sometimes when I clean algae from the tank and sump but never from the tank itself.
    I may have to go with Steve Wright on this and ask if you are missing any fish over the last few days, maybe a snail or crab got out and died? I once found a crab in the kitchen under the refrigerator when we moved. He made it about 60 feet from the tank.

7. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I would think of you can smell the air freshener from the room your tank is in, then air freshener chemical is getting in the tank. Regardless of relative locations. It may just take longer to build up enough to be toxic.

if by stink you mean smells like the ocean, yeah mine reeks. I hate the smell of the beach and I can usually smell the saltwater. I think it's gross but I deal with it because I really like the experience other than the smell.

8. Click Here!

9. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

The only smell is from the skimmer collection cup. The room can smell a little musty when the place is closed up. I have a 75 gallon planted tank and my reef has 112 gallons in the system.

10. gt40425hp

gt40425hp Feather Duster

i have only had smells when i was cycleing but if i take the lid off of the skimmer look out

11. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

i have a few questions. one do you run a skimmer? two do you have a uv light? and three the carbon. (i use the chemi pure elite) all three of these will cut odors

12. JBL

JBL Sea Dragon

I run all three all the time. I have a 155 bow, 55 sump, 28 gal nano, and 22L quarratine tank all in my living room with my tv and stuff, and I don't smell anything.
    When I do a WC, I'll get a "low tide" odor for a little while, but then its gone.
    I highly suggest Skimmer, and especially carbon. It removes odors.