Does this sound Good Enough

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by UMdmd, May 9, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. UMdmd

UMdmd Astrea Snail

I have a AGA 72 gal bowfront that I am finally going to start setting up. It has a built in over flow. I do not as of yet have a filter. I was looking at the amiricle MR100 or AGA model 2 wet/dry filter. I was wondering how this sounded to you guys. Any other suggestions would be great. I was also looking at a Magdrive 9.5 as a return pump. Would this provide enough flow for me? Thank again guys

2. Click Here!

3. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

IMO skip the Wet dry all together. Get a cheap 20 tall or 30G tank and use that as a sump. You could fix baffles into it and create a Fuge if you wanted. I would spend the money on a good skimmer and Live Rock.

J

4. seawillow

seawillow Coral Banded Shrimp

I agree with Jason.....a filter is not needed as long as you have plenty of LR and a good skimmer.....I made the mistake with my first tank to spend money on a filter and was told later that I didn't need it. I should have spent the money on soemthing else....:)

5. seawillow

seawillow Coral Banded Shrimp

Also, the Mag 9.5 is rated for 950 GPH...I feel you should be okay with that...if anyone else wants to chime in....feel free to do so. I am running a Mag 18 on my system and it's an awesome pump....

6. UMdmd

UMdmd Astrea Snail

So would you suggest I get a sump or a mud filter?? If so, can you point me in the right direction where I can get one.

7. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I would go with a sump. And that is simply a box that can hold all the equipment like Skimmer, heaters, return pump and what ever else you feel you need. I would buy the cheapest box you can find. In a 72G bow stand you are limited to width so measure what can fit in the stand and buy either a rubbermaid or smaller aquarium. I would go cheap and save your money for the skimmer and lights you will need/want next

J

8. Click Here!

9. dx7fd2

dx7fd2 Sea Dragon

Both Jason and Seawillow are right on about the filter, however they are useful for a cleanup situation. I am running a Mag9.5 on my 80gal with a 34gal sump and have good waterflow (about 600-700 gph is all my overflow will handle). The mag 9.5 is rated at 950 but when I add the head which is 3 feet and using two outlets it runs less. For additional flow I am running 2 MJ 1200s in the tank. If I need more flow I'll probably add an additional overflow and go with the Mag 18 but right now things are good.

Drew ;)

Last edited: May 11, 2005