Does the dark kill cyano?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by kcbrad, Nov 3, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Telgar

Telgar Snowflake Eel

there was a similar thread a week or two ago where it was suggested to leave the lights off for a day or 2 so the cyano dissolves back into the water (as you have observed, it disappears but the spores are still in the water) and then do your water change with the lights still off. (theory being you'll remove more of the spores this way)

2. Click Here!

3. Froc3

Froc3 Fire Goby

Whenever i notice cyano I shut the lights out for about 3 days and do a waterchange. Seems to work for me. Haven't seen it since in awhile though. I have found that cutting light back helps alot.

1 person likes this.
  4. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

Sorry to hijack your thread kc,but i'm in the same boat.But will killing the lights for a couple days harm any of the corals?

5. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Since the lights will be off a lot the next 3 weeks, I'll do my weekly water changes, and hopefully 3 weeks of less lights and water changes will help clear up the cyano.

No worries about hijacking. Always love to learn what I can!

6. Telgar

Telgar Snowflake Eel

By the way, what kind of clean up crew do you have? A good cuc will also help keep the cyano to a minimum.

7. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Right now I have 3 scarlet hermit crabs and 5 astrea snails (37 gallons). I received a customized list from reefcleaners for a CUC, but I haven't bought it yet. I was trying to get my cyano in check first.

What eats cyano? None of my clean up crew will touch it.

8. Click Here!

9. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

your cuc will eat the food uneaten by your fish. that will reduce the nutrients somewhat.

1 person likes this.
  10. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

I just tested my nitrates and they've finally dropped...a little! They were holding steady at 20ppm for over a month, but now the color looks in between 10 and 20ppm. Yay! It's so irritating. All my other numbers are perfect. Grrrr! I think I'm on the right track...

11. Telgar

Telgar Snowflake Eel

According to the descriptions at reefcleaners the blue legged hermit crab, dwarf Florida Cerith snails, and nerite snails will all eat cyano.

1 person likes this.
  12. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Okay. Reefcleaners did recommend all those to me, I think. I'll have to check. I'm worried about the blue legged hermits because a couple people told me they can be kind of mean and are more likely to kill other hermits, snails and other inverts. So I was a little nervous about getting those!