does superglue gel work for gluing rocks together?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by dixiedog, Apr 1, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sucker_fish

sucker_fish Astrea Snail

I have used DD aquascape aquarium epoxy with much success, it stays pliable for a while but when it cures it is rock hard and can even be sanded and drilled.

2. Click Here!

3. rocketmandb

rocketmandb Ocellaris Clown

Bummer! :)

I didn't know drilling was something you were considering. I'm a big fan of drilling and using threaded nylon rod (along with nylon washers and nuts) to hold major pieces of rock together and to set rocks up in ways that otherwise wouldn't be possible with glue alone.

4. LarryS

LarryS Bristle Worm

LOL. My mind is active...I'm in more than one place at a time. ;D

That said, as you'll see from the pics I'm about to post drilling might have been overkill for what I was doing - which is why I settled with the Lincoln log and glue approach. However, had the scape been more complex or where I need to affix large rock to one another, I would have reached out for help.

Do you have a thread that I could peruse later as I'd love to have the how-to etc in my mental database as I go forward.... and from the little you've just revealed, sounds like my thinking re: drilling was on the right path albeit I was simply going to use the threaded nylon as dowels to be glued.... make sense?

5. rocketmandb

rocketmandb Ocellaris Clown

Check out the build thread in my sig. Buried somewhere in there is the page with the pics from my aquascape day.

6. LarryS

LarryS Bristle Worm

Thanks rocketman!