does superglue gel work for gluing rocks together?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by dixiedog, Apr 1, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dixiedog

dixiedog Coral Banded Shrimp

I have some zoas on a rock about half the size of my index finger. It's broken off pretty cleanly on one end.

Will the mighty SG gel work on rock-to-rock applications like this, if used liberally enough?

I have some Marineland epoxy stick from the LFS and it's been very unsatisfactory.

2. Click Here!

3. somethingfish85

somethingfish85 Skunk Shrimp

im not sure what sort of grab the superglue will have on the rock as its so pourus, although if u could dry it out a before you glud it and could let it cure in a qt tank i dont see any harm in trying

4. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

varying success rates for me, small ones that have frags on glued onto larger rocks, work
    OK many times , but glueing larger pieces together is hit and miss and I would not want to depend on it as a means of supporting my reef structure .

5. Triplemom

Triplemom Pajama Cardinal

I've had pretty good luck with the super glue gel (except I always make a mess with it and get it all over my fingers). I usually apply the glue, then hold the frag in place against the rock for 30 seconds. Sometimes it doesn't work the first time, so I add more glue and hold again for 30 seconds. Usually, that does the trick.

6. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

You could first use the epoxy stick to make an impression then put some super glue on the epoxy stick impression which is on your rock. Now attach other rock and hold in place for 2 minutes

7. dixiedog

dixiedog Coral Banded Shrimp

That's almost exactly the solution I'm going with. My arms were in the tank when you posted this.:)

I decided to "try" to place the little rock onto the big rock with the epoxy stick. Then if (when) it comes loose, I'll superglue it to the cured epoxy and THAT should hold.

Thanks!!

8. Click Here!

9. Stingray

Stingray Blue Ringed Angel

If you put the frag on a piece of rock in a low flow area, it will eventually grow over and stick to the rock itself, mine took 2 days to get a firm hold...

10. noahm

noahm Plankton

The superglue/epoxy combo works great on frags and smaller rocks. put a glob of gel on the epoxy wad. Stick the rock to it. Put another glob of gell on the bottom of the wad and stick it to a clean spot of rock (toothbrush works well). You can stick stuff almost anywhere this way. The SG gel sticks better to both the rock and the frag plug than the epoxy until the epoxy cures then you have a solid mount. Just give it a twist when you are squishing it to the rock to break the SG gel film and get a goo hold. BTW, standard plumbers epoxy works just fine (not plumbers putty) and is way cheaper than frag epoxy.

11. coldshot

coldshot Blue Ringed Angel

I dont know if this is what you mean for glueing rocks together but the stand on the end is super glue gel and a bunch of it. I let it dry outside of the tank..it is solid....

Attached Files:

12. LarryS

LarryS Bristle Worm

How Long To Cure?

How long to cure before adding the water? The solution to the "problem" you've presented (gluing rock-to-rock) is exactly what I'm seeking.

(Knowing this is an old thread, not sure if you are still around to get this...)