Does Ich have to be treated?

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by Trigger01, May 11, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kip3

kip3 Astrea Snail

The hyposalinity advice was great; I didn't know that option existed. How would corals (softies and LPS) react to that? I ask because my bf has had a persistent ich problem with his purple tang and a little bit on his naso, but it usually only lasts a day or two and is gone for a few weeks. He uses garlic and the fish behave normally.

In regards to suggesting shrimp, I have noticed that skunk cleaners do a really good job of cleaning fish. Fire/blood shrimp have a tendency to be more reserved and hide more often from what I've seen and heard. My bf has both species and his skunks clean almost continuously; the blood shrimp rarely cleans, and he is an anomaly because he comes out often. Most blood shrimp hide the majority of the time, from what I understand.

2. Click Here!

3. invert phil

invert phil Millepora

North Yorkshire, England, Europe, Earth, Milkyway,
    I have a cleaner shrimp and neon goby which keep my tangs and other fish clear of ich, my gobies tend to get white spot, they go see the neon goby who cleans them.

[​IMG]

4. Trigger01

Trigger01 Plankton

Ich gone for now....now a few have cloudy eyes?

Well the spots are all gone for now. I added 2 cleaner shrimp, soaked the food with selcon and garlic guard like crazy, and did a couple of water changes.

Now I have a new question: The regal and naso tangs who had ich like crazy have no spots now but it seems their eyes have a cloudy film on them. Any thoughts on what this is? Is it related to the ich? It might be a silly question but can fish get cataracts with age? The regal is 4yrs old.
    Any suggestions/advice? Thanks for your help!!

5. m_hsiao

m_hsiao Purple Spiny Lobster

if your fish are eating and healthy, let it be.. supplement with garlic and everything will be fine.. no need for treatment unless they are not eating and breathing heavily.. the immune system will take care of the ich.. ich on tangs is like human catching cold, do you need med to get rid of the cold? sometimes it works and you lose the cold faster, but eventually your immune system is gonna fight it off.. no?

6. m_hsiao

m_hsiao Purple Spiny Lobster

the white film looking thing on the way, it's not covering the whole eye will go away with time.. my blue tang usually gets that white film looking thing and goes away after a short while,.. unless you're talking about cloudy eyes.. but if it's just a little of white stuff, it'll be fine. sometimes the ich goes close to their eye, and it's left over wounds from fighting off the ich.. will disappear with time