Does anyone have Oscars that do the funniest things!!

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by staceymomx3, Jan 23, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. staceymomx3

staceymomx3 Plankton

I have a 3 1/2 yr old Oscar named skittles. He does the funniest things like I have a ceramic planter pot in there. Well he attacks it and stands it straight up. Then he does between the glass and the planter and does a complete flip. Its so funny. He also will hit the hood. He jumps up and hits it.

2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

I had a couple of largish Oscars many years ago
    and agree they are very amusing in their antics

mine where very typical of the species in that they did their own aquascaping and anything I tried to do to make the tank look nicer to me, was wasted effort

plastic plants even siliconed to pieces of slate to keep them in place, eventually got uprooted and dragged and dumped in the rear corners

great personalities IMHO

4. vawdka

vawdka Coral Banded Shrimp

I have two Oscars and they do have some pretty goofy personalities. The two grew up together and decided to start fighting one day, so I separated them. Then one messed up his tank with his antics and it started leaking. His favorite past time when he was bored was to grab the end of his heater in his mouth and just swim as hard as he could in to the corner of the aquarium. He would literally clear my gravel substrate like it was nothing. I had to put him back in with the other while I rip apart the tank and reseal it. Strangely, they get along just fine, swim together now, and they play but they don't fight.

I spooked one once by turning on the room light in the middle of the night. I startled Phil and he smacked in to the sides twice then went straight up. He didn't fly out but I felt bad because that couldn't have felt good at all. They are so strong it's very easy to underestimate them. Just netting one will end up sending water all over the place.

Mine are about 5 years old and one is about 10.5 inches and the other is about 9 inches.

5. Dead ice

Dead ice Astrea Snail

I had a Oscar for 1.5 years till he decided to jump out of the tank while i was at work. anyways he was always excited to see me and not my GF or friends which always made me laughed and any time i feed him feeders he would always eat one and have one tail in his mouth and then eat another and had two tails i always thought it was an amazing fish. when i would rearrange his rock bed or water change he would nip my arm hair the fish was pure amazing. only thing i regret was teaching him how to jump for food :-( but you learn from your mistakes