Does anybody make their own food?

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by geekdafied, Jun 28, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

Geek, I found this Asian Food Grocer who sells nori online. Although all their nori products state it's "roasted nori," the ingredient label only says it's dried seaweed. It looks like a high quality product, and comes from Japan.

See it here.

2. Click Here!

3. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Brian (or anyone else for that matter)

When seafood is caught, it is sprayed with polyphosphate salts. Often times, right on the boat the animals are soaking in it in the cargo hold. I even contacted the nations largest organic grocery chain and even they have polyphosphates in their seafood. There are business reasons for this....it helps retain moisture in the cells and if the product is later frozen, it stops the cell walls from bursting. With frozen seafood, the packaging is very misleading. They will list salt as an ingredient but most people don't understand that it is a polyphosphate salt.

You can substantially cut down on the phosphorus added to your tank with a little advance preparation. Before you start blending, soak your ingredients in RO/DI water. Then pour off that water and use new water prior to blending.

You can do this with most frozen fish foods too. Soak in RO/DI to thaw......then strain out the water.

1 person likes this.
  4. wildreef

wildreef Stylophora

Yes i toatally agree there you could cut down on substances containing phosphorus huh ?

5. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

There are two things that every living thing requires. Carbon and Phosphorus. Everything that you feed is going to contain organic phosphates. There's no getting around those. However, with this method you can at least cut down on the additional inorganic phosphorus.

6. wildreef

wildreef Stylophora

I totallty agree theres no reason to add in addition of phoshates needlessly.

7. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Thanks for great tip...never heard of or thought of before. Have been mixing own food for ages...:-/

Will soak from now on...!!!!

8. Click Here!

9. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Well.. I hope the fish like Spinach... I added Romaine, Spinach and Red Leaf Lettuce to the mix. I added about 2 hand fulls of the mix to the meats and blended in the blender. Its liquidy/kinda chunky... I removed the bigger chunks and fed to the cats. They seem to like it, hahaha! So thats a good sign if they eat it..

10. Ash and Mike

Ash and Mike Astrea Snail

wow geekdafied, sounds like a yummy meal for your tank! ^.^ :)

11. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

They eat each others turds! What makes you thing they arent going to like all that yummy fish and other seafood products blended together :p!

12. ssgheislerswife

ssgheislerswife Ritteri Anemone

:LolLolLol