Do you use Activated Carbon in your reef?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by reefnJeff, Apr 5, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. reefnJeff

reefnJeff Pajama Cardinal

ohh!! will the nature was dead and washed up on shore in Boracay, I guess I could have gotten in really big trouble if they found it in customs, will I took that stuff out of the tank, my water is still cloudy and I am blaming that dead coral rubble, I did set up he canistor filtor, still not helping much.

My wife made the mistake of taking a deep sniff of my collection cup once of after I told her it smelled good like the ocean, never seen anyone turn green so fast, hahaha.

2. Click Here!

3. reefnJeff

Not real cloudy, but enough to annoy me, I had the activated carbon running since I posted this thread, the pic I took just a few minutes ago.

Attached Files:

4. reefnJeff

YEA! I did remove some of the dead coral rubble and my tank is starting to clear, I think this piece was the one making the mess, just got that feeling.

Attached Files:

• bad.jpg
      bad.jpg
      File size:
      67 KB
      Views:
  5. reefnJeff

I am going to take back what I said about the dead coral rubble being the maker of mess in the tank, after further observation, I noticed the water had gotten cloudy again, so this is what it's doing, light off for the night and it starts to clear, lights back on for the day, it starts to cloud back up, things that make you go hhmmm!!

I just took off a hang on the back power filter and replaced it with the canistor, guess I really need to figure out more.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  6. lillys Grandad

lillys Grandad Horrid Stonefish

sometimes that's the way it goes....perseverance...you will work it out. glad your got'n a handle on it. ;)

7. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

just taking the rock out will not make it just clear up. it really sounds like a bacterial problem, possibly caused by the rock/rocks? not sure if you did any tank rearranging ? any way think about getting something to help get the bacteria back in balance. some type of live bacteria. like microbactor7 or one of the other brands out there. will make it happen faster.