Do you use a calcium reactor?

Discussion in '3reef Site Polls' started by Matt Rogers, Apr 18, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Do you use a calcium reactor?

1. Yes.

19.3%
  2. No.

80.7%
  1. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

when i used a calcium reactor i loved that thing, it released calcium of course but it also releases some Trace Elements, Strontium, and Magnesium too.

ofcourse a quality media is important

2. Click Here!

3. bje

bje Long-fin Bannerfish

if im reading this right... essentially a CR is going to outperform manual-2part additives. i thought the guy at the LFS was trying to oversell me stuff when he told me to get a calcium reactor or kalkwasser. more i read, the more i think he wasnt trying to oversell

4. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

I will NEVER run a tank without a cal reactor again. I use a lifereef calcium reactor with ARM media and milwaukee gauges and ph controller.

5. Optimist

Optimist Peppermint Shrimp

lol.. I use the reactor. I was getting tired of dosing every single day and playing with pH and calcium levels. It was in a 150 and although B-ionic is a REALLY good suppliment and very easy dosing, I had to keep boiling the lids of the smaller containers from creep and jamming the hole up. I would funnel from the gallon into smaller ones for easier dosing but it still got to be more tidious adding in with other suppliments.
    I agree with "why need a mag dispenser?". You don't dose it enough to need one. I do it as sort of a balancing tool to bump up levels as the media dissolves. It would be a fun project but really not required like a calcium reactor.
    IMO... A must have with any SPS tank over a 55 gallon.
    Unless you like being that intimate with your tank to give it a shot of this.. a shot of that... a shot of this... a shot of that... a shot of this... lol
    I like adding the media and let it go till the media gets low. A $20 jug lasted over a year and I'm only "re-uping" to try a new product. I still have 1/2 the container.
    Good thread.

6. rysam

rysam Astrea Snail

Thats the main reason i want to run dolomite in a second chamber, dolomite has a much higher mag content than aragonite medias. as the effluent from the main chamber passes through the second chamber, the low PH water will slowly dissolve the dolomite adding cal and mag and in turn raise the ph of the effluent.

7. Crabby Jim

Crabby Jim Sea Dragon

I am currently using ESV B-Ionic like a lot of people here are I am actually glad to see so many people using it that makes me feel like I made a good decision with that stuff. I would like to add a Calcium Reactor to my system it is just not in the budget right now ( new baby , renovating the house Etc.)
    Down the road I am going to get one though.

8. Click Here!

9. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

some mag is released from the calcium reactor. Mag doesn't need to be replaced as readily as calcium and alk.

10. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

I'm a doser but, I know I'll have to get a reactor at some point. Most of my SPS are still frags so they don't draw much calcium.

11. reefer Bob

reefer Bob Montipora Digitata

I just dose Advantage calcium. I have a few sps that are fairly small so far, It sounds like corals grow mad with a reactor. Maybe that could be a new prize, something everyone wants.

12. bwalker9801

bwalker9801 Zoanthid

What about kalk reactors? How many people are using them only or with a calcium reactor?