Do you turn down your flow at night?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Zissou, Mar 5, 2016.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Zissou

Zissou Fire Shrimp

Hey folks, so I just unboxed and set up a Vortech mp10 quiet drive on my small reef tank and I absolutely love the flow options it gives me. My question relates to the fact that there is a night time mode where the pump will run at a slower rate for a programable period of time during the night. Does anyone do this and have they seen benefits to a slower flow during lights out? Any comments or questions about this pump with regards to its flow and modes are welcome.

2. Click Here!

3. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

The only purpose I could see for it is that you'll have a quieter pump at night, and the lights on the controller don't display.

The ocean doesnt "turn down" at night.

Piano10 and Mr. Bill like this.
  4. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

No. As mentioned, the ocean currents do not lower at night. You also run the risk of reducing gas exchange which can adversely affect your pH.

DSC reef and dsfdsfisch like this.
  5. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

6. Zissou

Zissou Fire Shrimp

This is all obvious, I just wanted to know if some people turn them down to spot feed and such when nocturnal critters come out.
    Thanks.

7. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Ah, yes, a short duration for target-feeding is fine. I only need to target-feed corals, which is done while lights are on, but yes, lowering flow for an hour or so allows the food to settle on them for ingestion. The same could be done at night for skiddish nocturnal inverts that don't wander far from their lair. :)

bobbie_urbanczyk likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Zissou

Zissou Fire Shrimp

Thanks Mr. Bill! and good point on the gas exchange being affected by flow thus altering the pH. I'm still tinkering with the modes, creating waves is too fun and the fish seem to enjoy it.

Mr. Bill likes this.