Do you Quarantine or Dip your Corals?

Discussion in 'Coral' started by inwall75, Jul 24, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Do you FW Dip or QT new coral purchases

1. I Quarantine Only

2 vote(s)
    5.1%
  2. I Freshwater Dip Only

8 vote(s)
    20.5%
  3. I Freshwater Dip and then Quarantine

6 vote(s)
    15.4%
  4. What the heck are you talking about?

23 vote(s)
    59.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

Be careful with the word "all," tangster!

I prefer other food, myself. ;)

2. Click Here!

3. lynnvangsnes

lynnvangsnes Astrea Snail

I use tincture of iodine...20 drops per liter of tank water. I put my new corals in the dip(after acclimation) for 8 minutes, then dip them in tank water before putting them in the tank. My corals are currently limited to several zoanthids, blastomussas, mushrooms, a caulastrea, a ricordea colony, and a kenya tree coral.

4. GeejEx

GeejEx Skunk Shrimp

technicalities...

If you dip, how do you acclimate? Or do you?Seems counterintuative to out the back into lfs water after a dip- of course some of mine have been packed with no water, just a piece of plastic holding moisture in.

5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I don't really acclimate corals except to float them in the tank for a little while to adjust for temperature.

6. lynnvangsnes

lynnvangsnes Astrea Snail

I acclimate first by floating the bags in the tank (unopened) for 15 minutes. I then open the bag, and add 1/4 C of tank water every 5 minutes until the volume of water in the bag is doubled. Meanwhile, I am prepping my dipping containers. The first container contains 20 drops of tincture of iodine per liter of tank water. I do not prep these containers until I am ready to dip for temperature reasons. The second container just tank water. I place the specimens in the iodine container for 7-8 minutes, then dip them (rinse) in the second container. They are then placed into the tank...with the lights off for at least 12 hours. I have not lost a single specimen since I have been doing this.

7. Reef2Keep

Reef2Keep Purple Spiny Lobster

It's really ok to place the fish is straight RO/DI water??

What is the goal of this step, to remove parasites of the fish?

8. Click Here!

9. fischkid2

fischkid2 Dirty Filter Sock

i dip most my corals first but i should start a Qt.

10. bje

bje Long-fin Bannerfish

i havent purchased any corals for my tank as of yet (only two months since its startup) but from research i have done its almost necessary to dip / qt if you dont want nuisances hitchhiking.

i have a 10gal tank prepared for a use as a QT with a frag rack that i made out of egg crate. ill use it for coral and fish QT. for dips ill just a spare saltwater bucket.

11. Grant

Grant Feather Duster

Not to hijack, but to add to this older thread's content i have 2 questions...I have a qt tank now that I'm using copper in to treat an ich outbreak. I plan to use the qt in the furture for new fish arrivals, with copper.

1) is this a good plan for new fish additions
    2) i can't use this same qt for corals, can I? won't the copper be a problem? do I really need a seperate qt for corals only?

12. gabbagabbawill

gabbagabbawill Pajama Cardinal

Re: Do you Quarantine or Freshwater Dip your Corals?

NO. Ro/di water has a ph of 7. You want to match the ph and temperature for a FW dip.