Do you Quarantine or Dip your Corals?

Discussion in 'Coral' started by inwall75, Jul 24, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Do you FW Dip or QT new coral purchases

1. I Quarantine Only

2 vote(s)
    5.1%
  2. I Freshwater Dip Only

8 vote(s)
    20.5%
  3. I Freshwater Dip and then Quarantine

6 vote(s)
    15.4%
  4. What the heck are you talking about?

23 vote(s)
    59.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

I've always QT'd and Freshwater Dipped my corals. In fact, at a LFS I was working at, I helped build a 3000 gallon quarantine trough just for corals.

I was wondering what all of you do.
    '

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
    3 people like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

4. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

I never did with corals before, but after I had a flatworm outbreak in my last 55G tank, I now FW dip in RO/DI water with the recommended dose of Flatworm eXit. It's cheap insurance. That stuff works. I'm sure the introduction of flatworms came from a piece of coral.

I also FW dip all my new fish additions, not that I have many, but my new powder blue tang and coris wrasse got FW dipped and they thanked me for it! :) I think with the RO/DI water they don't mind a bit. I haven't had a fish even appear stressed during or after the dip. I acclimate them by the usual method, then the very last thing before introduction I dip 'em. Before tossing into the tank. I don't actually toss them, you know. . . :eek:

Last edited: Jul 25, 2008
  5. BaxterS80

BaxterS80 Pajama Cardinal

We us Seachem Reef Dip

6. ssgheislerswife

ssgheislerswife Ritteri Anemone

I do both! I q/t'ed for a week before moving them to the new tank. I started by running the lights on the same schedule as the tank they came from and shifted the schedule by 1 hour until it was the same as my DT. I get flatworms or something worse in my q/t and since there's nothing in there but some macro, I nuke everything!!! If I get them in my display tank, I'll freak!!! Of course I know it wouldn't be the end of the world, but I'm jes sayin'!

7. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Depends on the coral. Lugols, potassium permanganate and freshwater are all different dippings I use, some in combination, some alone. QT ia a must have, especially for established reefs.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2008
  8. Click Here!

9. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

I haven't done this before, but I will start to dip my new corals after reading the posts

10. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Don't.

But wish now I had. :-[

11. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I didn't see a "Hell Yes" option so I voted that I do both. However, like geeky, the type of dip we use depends on the coral.

If you've ever experienced monti eating nudibranchs, red bugs and acro eating flatworms, you'd be stupid not to.

1 person likes this.
  12. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Excellent point. Karma to you.

I don't ever use iodine based dips like Lugol's or Reef Dips (Seachem, Kent Marine, etc) on zoanthids unless I see a fungus. I strictly do FW dips on those followed by a dip of Salifert Flatworm Exit in a saltwater bath. Reef Hobbyist Magazine Volume 2 Issue 1 Mitch Carl of SECORE has found that Praziquantel (I prefer Hikari Prazi-pro) works well too. If I need to use Lugols or Reef Dips, it is very diluted for zoanthus.

For corals containing a symbiotic animal (ex. porites and christmas tree worms), I don't want to harm the worms so I only use saltwater dips on those.

Red bugs are a royal pain.....not everyone has such a cooperative vet to get interceptor so it's a good idea IMO to dip and QT all acros.

I've been succesful with Prazi-Pro with Monti nudis too.