Do you clean your sump tank?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Stammer, Feb 14, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Stammer

Stammer Bristle Worm

• I am running a smallish sump pump with bio balls and filter pads for my mostly fish with live rock and a couple of corals. I have my heater, my skimmer, and my return pump in the bottom of the sump. I have changed the filter pad media, but I have not touched the bio balls or cleaned out the misc debris on the bottom. Should I clean a few of the bio balls / rotate them a little every other week or something? Or just leave them be?

2. Click Here!

3. hingedthinker

hingedthinker Fire Worm

I am running a 24G Current-usa Cardiff with a protein skimmer, and live rock refugium in the back middle section for about 10 months now. I have been cleaning it out during water changes every two months or so. I don't have experience with a true sump setup yet...I will in the next few months when I get my 125G going.

4. VeloceReef

VeloceReef Bristle Worm

Anything that can catch Detriuts should be cleaned on a regular basis. Weekly at least. That goes for sponges mainly. I'm not 100% on bio balls but I've always stayed away from them. I wouldn't worrie about the stuff on the bottom.

5. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

I had mine for about a year and cleaned it twice or 3 times at the most.... not gonna do it again since I don't see any difference other than the cloudy water afterward.

Sent from my phone using my two opposable digits

6. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

I clean mine every 6 months qat most.

7. Scuba Ken

Scuba Ken Ritteri Anemone