Do Star Polyps and Iodide Mix

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by SheridanUK, Jan 22, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SheridanUK

SheridanUK Plankton

Star Polyps and Iodide. Safe?

Hello All

Welcome to my very first post. First of many probably being new to the reef aquarium world.

I need some advice on my star polyps which have recently refused to come out and has now been 5 days. Previously they where like a forest taking over the tank!

All the rest of the corals are looking super healthy. Water parameters

I have recently added Reef iodide (Seachem product) to try and encourage my Xania to pulse. Lower than recommended dose so not over doing it. Does anyone know if this could have an adverse effect on star polyps?

It was my prize piece and would hate for it to die.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  2. Click Here!

3. bc219

bc219 Millepora

Welcome to 3reef!

First of all if you aren't testing for iodine I would probably not be adding it, if you choose to anyway, just be careful and be warned. Although one of the theories to get xenia to pulse is needing iodine, I think there are several other factors since there is no for sure way that has ever been found to make this happen.

As far as the GSP, sometimes they just close up, not sure about the iodine effect on them, but they just do this sometimes. I have one colony that will stay closed for a week or so sometimes and then just slowly come back. It's normal.