Do parasites need hosts to survive?

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by mulder32, Dec 27, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mulder32

mulder32 Purple Spiny Lobster

Thanks--I kind of figured that. When I saw the scratching I knew something was up. Do you think a freshwater dip is even worth it at this point?

2. Click Here!

3. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

It's really a matter of weighing the stress of a FW dip vs the effect of the parasites.

1 person likes this.
  4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Nope it will just stress the fish and it will become re-infected once you put it back in the display. If all is lost it can not hurt to try but that is a hard choice. If the fish begins to breath heavy than that is a sign that it will not last much longer dipping it may offer some relief but only temporally.

Wish I had better news sorry. :-/

5. mulder32

That's OK. I guess I have to decide tonight if I should just net him and give him the burial at sea or wait until tomorrow morning and get him when he's dead.

6. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

well i guess euthanization is the only thing to do IMO. My chromis had a fungus that i cudnt get rid of so i just euthanized... ends their suffering so i guess its better

7. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Yea I would wait until he either starts breathing heavy or show a physical infestation of the parasites again. Fish have been able to pull through when they are only scratching and not eathing.

8. Click Here!

9. mulder32

Well, when I timed his breathing about 30 minutes ago, he was taking 100 breaths per minute.