Do not buy this junk: Jbj titanium heater/controller

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by schackmel, Feb 15, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

So I know between the two of you there's all kinds of knowledge, but considering how much difficulty you're having in getting the temp to lower, are you sure there isn't a different piece of equipment causing this issue?

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Nothing is running. The return pump is running and one Hydor Korallia is running. The GFO and Carbon dual reactor is off. The Hydor Korallia Magnum 8 is off. I have an air pump running (as temperature increases, Dissolved Oxygen decreases) but that doesn't add heat. The reactor for the biopellet is turned off. The skimmer is turned off. The only thing that generates heat is the return pump and that was run in vinegar overnight and cleaned just 2 months ago. The sump/refugium holds 60 gallons (if full) but when run to allow for power outages, it holds about 45 gallons. The tank is a 125 but I would estimate it only holds 100 gallons after subtracting rock/sand. It just takes a lot to bring 145 gallons down from 98 degrees to 78 degrees.

BTW....all of those pumps were running for a long times and the temp never got above 79 measured with 3 methods....the JBJ controller, another thermometer, and my hand (I can stick my hand in a tank and I have a +/_ accuracy of 1 degree). The heat jumped that high overnight and it can only be the heater.

4. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Alright, agree for the most part, but still questioning the return pump as a possible contributor. Internal or external pump? Water does have a significant specific heat, but my thermal/mech engineer intuition thinks it should be cooled off by now, especially with ice and fans. If it was a still body of water, that'd be a different story.

5. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Ice and fans were only added this afternoon. Cooler topoff water was added last night. Not thinking at all, it was added right where the temperature probe was. It wasn't a huge concern because the thought was that all was lost. Once that cooler water was dissipated, the temperature raised up again (according to the controller). It appears that the temp went down and then rose back up. However, what happened was the whole system did not really go down in temp very much.

1 person likes this.
  6. jerseyreefer

jerseyreefer Bristle Worm

Keep using the bags of ice if you can't get your chiller on line. I hope that you find more survivors as the temp comes down.

7. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

temp last night was down to 80 so the worse is over. I did see that my one zoa was opened a little last night (there was only 6 polyps on it) but all my sps was gone (fortunately only had a couple pieces of it to begin with) havent seen the mandrarin, Curt saw the tonimi eating a fireshrimp. Suprisingly a lot of crabs are alive and moving around. I know the schoal of of anthias are dead. The sponges have really disappeared. We are going to start to do big water changes again to continue to bring down the waste of everything that has died

2 people like this.
  8. Click Here!

9. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

Good lord girl! If anyone has had thier share of bad luck in this hobby,it would be you.So sorry to hear,but karma to you for holding your chin up and keeping on truckin.

10. dcgray125

dcgray125 Plankton

wow, I am soo sorry, thank you for letting us know about this product, I was looking for another heater and I won't be getting this one, they better cover your loss.

11. SkyFire

SkyFire Clown Trigger

Wow....so sorry to hear but hope your tang and mandarin made it.
    Best of luck to you as it seems you are due for some good luck now.

12. ebaybrad

ebaybrad Plankton

i need to revive this thread...disaster!

i feel your pain. look at what happened to me just a couple of days ago.

ok so i awake to a smell of "electricity". upon inspection of the rear of my tank, I notice the truetemp titanium heater in one of the megaflows "arc ing" under the water. It was smelling awful. It was also arc ing into the plastic drain durso and melting the plastic. once the power was cut the water drained from the megaflow area and the plastic caught fire instead of melting(now that it was out of the water). The glass cracked and the water drained completely from the megaflow container along with plastic smoke bellowing from the tank. thank god the glass crack was contained to just the area inside the megaflow and the contents of my 210 aquarium didn't end up on the floor. Only the contents of the megaflow (perhaps 1 gallon) met my floor.

I quickly drained the tank...remove 150lbs of live rock and the fish (who all miraculously survived). total and complete disaster.

i am beside myself and thankful at the same time.

the fish all survived...the tank is destroyed. I am completely baffled.

it was a true temp jbj 800w titanium heater and controller with probe. It had the plastic shrouding.

BTW, the white plastic mass you are looking at was my damn DURSO!

20131218_082412.jpg

20131218_082422.jpg

20131218_082427.jpg