Do not buy this junk: Jbj titanium heater/controller

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by schackmel, Feb 15, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Pickupman66

Pickupman66 Tassled File Fish

WOW!!!! this is TERRIBLE NEWS!!!! I have three heaters in my 180. an old glass one of unknown brand at 300 watts, an unknown Titanium one with No thermostat (designed to only work with a seperate controller) 200 watts, and a brand new Finnex one with the analog dial thermostat at 500 watts.

all three are controlled by a Medusa digital temp controller. After reading and experiencing failures, I will not my heaters to be controlled by their own devices. the Medusa controller is Expensive, but now, Very worth it.

you can also control heaters with a $100 reef keeper Lite system. surely those electronics are better than the others.

2. Click Here!

3. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

We have not had our chiller on since we reinstalled everything. As there was not a lot of coral in the system we had only been running our MH for a couple hours a day and just leaving the actinics going. Our temp had actually been running a little cold. In fact, we had just bought all new MH bulbs in preparation of the new coral shipment, and was breaking them in by only having them on for 2 hours the day before and did not turn them on that day at all!

When I left for work I would say everything is lost! I see a few crabs and snails moving around but no fish what-so-ever. Only body we have found is the goatfish we had. The only corals we had was a bubblegum chalice (which is a complete bleached out skeleton) and a large litho that is completely brown. Our zoa is closed up and our sponges are literally melting.

On a plus note......this heat probably cooked any remaining monti eating nudis that we had!!!

the tank is still hot! We had it down to 87 last night but it climbed back up a little overnight....grrrr!

4. dnyce78

dnyce78 Astrea Snail

Sorry to hear. This is exactly why I love my Apex. I have a .3 degree variation in any given day.

5. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Last fall, there was a beekeeper supply web page that had Ranco's on clearance. I should have picked one up then.

6. saints fan 420

saints fan 420 Expensive Colorful Sticks

i have the cheap walmart 15$ one for 8 months, worked like a charm, its the one that keeps the water at 78*..and only comes on when it needs..

7. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

we had been trying to bring the temp down gradually, however that wasnt working very well (by doing water changes) so went and bought a 2lb bag of ice and put it in a trash bag and stuck it in the tank.........under 10 minutes the ice was completely melted. We have fans blowing on the tank. Unfortunately we have used all the water we had trying to bring it down, so now we are making more. The tank is at 91 right now

Did see the mandarin just now...he is huffing and puffing but alive. Curt saw the tonomi tang for a second but said he did not look good. I am sure the anthias are long gone (being deep water fish to begin with)

8. Click Here!

9. saints fan 420

thats terrible man, really hope everything works out..

i would drive to the jbj headquarter and burn it down if this happened to me..

10. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

that thought has crossed my mind8)

Try to find the good in everything.....at least this will save me some money this weekend! Our local club is having their big frag swap this weekend and now dont have a place to put the corals ;D Will still have to go and look

11. saints fan 420

yeah,,goingt to a frag meet and not buying corals..

that would drive me CRAZYYY

12. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

That's terrible news! For all you've been through already and still have the desire to go on shows your love for the hobby. So sorry this happened but also thank you for posting the thread when the JBJ blew up. I had a 500W in a cart and pulled it then.