Do it yourself Denitrator

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Jakerupe, Jun 24, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jakerupe

Jakerupe Skunk Shrimp

I don't think that the substrate matters so if you have it I'd use it. Also I don't think that you need the 1 1/4 PVC on the inside. All that is doing is reducing the amount of water and surface area that you have. The outside of the tubing will also give you surface area for the bacteria, alot more then the PVC. Everything else looks like it would work though.

The important part is the 1/4 tubing that is running through and from what I undestand from Tangster 40' should be plenty to strip the oxygen out of the water.

2. Click Here!

3. lotzofish

lotzofish Fire Worm

Ok, I've redesigned this, and now I will post some pictures of the fabrication. I have many more pictures, and all of the dimensions used to build it. So, if anybody is interested, please PM me and I'll get you the extra info. Please note that this is different from other versions that I have seen, and I'm not positive if it will function correctly, but it does seem to hold and exchange water.

Attached Files:

4. lotzofish

lotzofish Fire Worm

Here is a view of the 4" test caps and the tubing fittings. In this design, I am using an out 4" PVC tube and an 3" inner tube coild with 40' of 1/4" black lawn sprinkler tubing.

Attached Files:

5. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

You can simply use old hair curler or fishing line even weed eater line or old plastic caps from drink bottles . You can cut up old PVC pipe and fitting to use.. Go to a fast food place ad take a few hand fulls of plastic forks and knives..

6. techno2

techno2 Stylophora

OK, So i read this post and a few others, I still cant say that I can figure out what this is doing ?

Can someone explain it in a few words ? I want to build one or buy one, but dont quite get it yet.

\Cheers

7. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

The internal culture metabolizes the nitrate, changing it to simple safe nitrogen gas that's it.

8. Click Here!

9. techno2

techno2 Stylophora

Hmm Ok thanks.
    How about a non scientific version >?
    I see two tubes, how is it installed and to what ?

What the going rate to purchace nowadays ?

\Cheers

10. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

The nitrate bugs inside the coil eat the nitrates and then poot out nitrogen gas :)
    As for what all inside ? beats me I never made one that had all the sleeves of pipe .. But then again I'm not that experienced with them :)

11. lotzofish

lotzofish Fire Worm

The "input" is a siphon feed from the display, and the output goes to the sump. Essentially I use the inner tube to support the small water tubing coil. I adhered the coil of tubing to the inner coil to ease installation (vs. using stiff water tubing that is hard to bend/ work with). Going rate: ? I'm not sure how much it is to buy one, but this one cost me 30-35 dollars.

12. techno2

techno2 Stylophora

Ah OK, Siphen fed, no pump. I see said the blind man,,.
    That must be a real slow turn over rate. I would think Nitrates would raise lower thatn these things remove. But then again I hear good things of them.

Thanks
    I might venture a build one of these thingys.

\Cheers