Do it yourself Denitrator

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Jakerupe, Jun 24, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I could understand how it works in a 100' water tower but in a Coil denitrator? I'll have to take your word for it. Luna

2. Click Here!

3. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

Gravity always works. Water will always flow downhill.
    Water just can't be pushed up to a higher level without a pump, unless it eventually ends up at a lower level (like a siphon). No problems getting water from the display tank, up into the coil, then have it come out into the sump below the tank. Gravity is all that is needed, no pump.

4. Jakerupe

Jakerupe Skunk Shrimp

Have to agree with Tangster, there is plenty of flow at the end of the unit. I thought the same thing Luna when I set this up. My thougt wasnt that after it went through the coils the water pressure from the water in the unit would slow it down....not the case. The stream is as strong as just a direct siphon of the tank in 1/4" tubing. Remember though it is pushing and pulling...once it fills and starts to drain the second siphon(return line) is helping relieve the pressure. (Really I guess it is one big loop)

Can't thank you enough Tangster!

Luna I know you've been fighting the 20ppm nitrates so I'll keep you updated when this has been running for the 2-3 months.

5. Jakerupe

Jakerupe Skunk Shrimp

It is just a ratio of water on top of waer, don't need much pressure to displace the volume of a 1/4" tube.

6. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Its works a Archimedes proved it all several thousands of yrs ago its the same principle the Romans and Greeks applied to flush their toilets with from water miles and miles away :) When I say Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible. :) I'm serious :)

7. Jakerupe

Jakerupe Skunk Shrimp

Tested again and both the main tank and the "drip water" out of the tank were a little less polluted(NO3's) then last week. They were in beteen the two reading were last week they were dead on the higher one. Tick Tock...

8. Click Here!

9. Jakerupe

Jakerupe Skunk Shrimp

It's been about a month since I last posted and then I had the nitrates down from around 100 ppm to about 50 ppm. I was excited until 2 weeks later it was still the same. I actually removed the check valve then to see if a faster drip would help and when I removed it it stayed at a sloooow drip.

Made me think that I needed to hook a pump to it, or that the coil inside may have busted loose. Really didn't want to take it a part and find this out. So then I thought to bleed the lines a bit, like brake lines Tangster, and it didn't help. Long of the short the algae I was cleaning on the outside of the tube let the algae on the inside grow and clog it. DUH!

Replaced Tangsters J tube with just green hose so my dumbass won't forget to clean it. This was about a week ago and now I tested it and it is lower then 10 ppm.

If you don't have one of these get one! Use this thread or better yet get yours from Tangster. This has got to be one of the simplest and most effective ways to remove nitrates period. I don't think I'll worry about them again. Like Tangster said when I asked about this let it run ...nitrate going, going gone...and never worry about it!

Tangster, I can't thank you enough!

10. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Oh heck I forgot the part of putting Black tape or a black heat shrink on the J tube . But as long as there is a drip drip drip then the NO3s will be gone .. After it totly cures up you can open the valve on up for faster flows from coil if it can't keep up ? But I have yet to see that problem..They simply work 100% and 100% of the time for a 100% of those who use them..

11. jimw369

jimw369 Fire Shrimp

OK Tangster...How much are they? lol

12. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

I have them listed in my sponsors forms with all the info , Rather cheap and easy compared to all the other ways people attempt to rid the systems of a simple byproduct of the filtration process . Media scrubbers vodka and deep sand beds I choose the old simple coil :)

1 person likes this.