Do i need a protein skimmer?

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by mikentexas, Jan 6, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Skimmers are the best insurance policy for fish and new aquariasts. I shudder to think of my livestocks plight early on without one of those babies. For all the reasons above and the awesome removal of dissolved organic compounds (DOCs), aka, fish poop and other yucky stuff. Much better for water quality!

PS,
    Welcome!

2. Click Here!

3. JOER0178

JOER0178 Peppermint Shrimp

I THINK IT WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA PLUS IT VERY GOOD FOR OXYGENATING THE WATER

4. CG

CG Bristle Worm

hey mikentexas what lfs do you go to? because i was also told i didn't really need a skimmer, but these guys convinced me it was a good idea to have, and i can already see improvment

5. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I would really say
    1 Lights
    2 Tank
    3 Skimmer

That would be my list of cost and of importance when keeping a reef. There is of course 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 but I wanted to emphasize the importance of a skimmer and lights. you can keep corals in a shot glass if you want but they wont live without good lights. I also feel that mechanical or biological filters are unnecessary (wrassman would contest) but if you get a really good skimmer you'll be on your way

Now I just need to get a good skimmer [smiley=bawling.gif] [smiley=bouncylaugh.gif] [smiley=bucktooth.gif]