Do I need a canister filter if I have a sump?

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by imagine7070, Jun 9, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ToboAqua

ToboAqua Astrea Snail

so I don't need a filter? Just a Protein Skimmer?

I am getting ready to start my 90 gallon reef tank, (which I have no idea what kind of coral I want yet or fish)

But I have a Eheim 2217 canister filer I was going to use and a Coralife Super Skimmer 125 for my skimmer...

I also have a HOB filter I was considering using... but didn't want to because it's loud.

With enough Live Rock I can get away with only using a Protein Skimmer?

2. Click Here!

3. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Live rock should do the job without the need for your filter media. If you have a good protein skimmer, it will remove the gunk. Read through the posts regarding skimmers if you have not already purchased your coralife. You may want to get something a little more quality. I am currently looking at the AquaC EV series as well as the Bullet series. The Deltec is really, really good from what I hear, but really, really pricey. I am probably going to end up with a Bullet-1 and get rid of my filter sock (AKA nitrate factory).

And for a FOWLR, I would aim for 1 to 1.5 pounds of LR per gallon. For a reef 1.75 to 2 pounds per gallon.

From one newbie to another......I hope this helps. John.

EDIT: Also.......go really, really, really slow. If you rush things in a SW tank, you will lose. Bad.

4. liegeofinveracity

liegeofinveracity Coral Banded Shrimp

...the night time... is the right time...
    i want to believe just sand and liverock can filter a tank but don't have the guts to try it, i say keep the penguin because they're great for carbon and the biowheels work real well. skip the canister because you have the penguin.and skip the sump also,most would disagree about the sump but i find it's a huge pain in the butt,, just my 2 cents:)

5. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

You can never go wrong with a sump dude. Adds more gallons at the very, very least. I don't have any filtration but LR, LS and a filter sock that I think does more harm than good. I am going to try my system without it the next week and see what the params are. Since I am having problems with my nitrates, it should slow down the production a bit. Less rotting shrimp and poop.

6. ToboAqua

ToboAqua Astrea Snail

coralife

Yeah I already got the Coralife at a LFS and wish I hadn't but it's been over 30 days and all so... I'm stuck with it...

7. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Aaahhhhh, don't sweat it. Dude....it's NOT bottom of the barrel. Mine, on the other hand, is. See if you can read up through the forums here about putting it into overdrive. I have heard of this concept but am unfamiliar with it. My PS is so lousy, if I added a good pump to it, it would get blown apart. Isn't this hobby fun? I just can't stop spending money.

8. Click Here!

9. ToboAqua

ToboAqua Astrea Snail

Ps

Maybe I'll try to sell it on ebay or read about "pumping" it up...
    to quote Hans and Frans... LOL
    yeah expensive hobby but fun... I don't even have fish yet!

10. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

I would try to work with it first. I am sure you have other things you need to invest in. It's good enough for now. Once you have your tank allllll set up with everything you want, that's when I would consider an upgrade.

Rock on.......John.

11. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

skimmer and lr all all you need. If you can get to the area where the detritus settles then you can use a shop vac too to get the nastiness. (works for me)