Do Green Star Polyps really put out "stuff" that kills SPS??

Discussion in 'Coral' started by Mr.Bubbles, Nov 14, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Reef-a-holic

Reef-a-holic 3reef Sponsor

I've never noticed GSP hurt anything that was in close proximity...if they touch however the GSP seems to win the battle most of the time.

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. marta

marta Plankton

can't the water be changed?then there is nothing to worried about .

4. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I suggest using carbon and changing it every two weeks if you are not already. This should help with the chemical warfare. Check your parameters and make sure they are in line. Alk 7 to 11 dKH and Ca 380 to 450 ppm. Make sure your PO4 is below .05 and your NO3 is below 10 amd preferably 5 ppm.

5. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Most likely if the GSP is going to release anything it is just typical mucus. This is almost entirely carbon based. Some corals, especially if not getting enough nutrients, release it in order to drive bacteria, which they then feed on. However, it can drive bacteria on the surface of other corals, which in effect can starve them of oxygen. IMO, the only way they would release massive amounts of toxins is if they were physically damaged. In either case though, GAC and good flow should remove whatever is causing the damage. I've never had a problem keeping GSP or other "toxic" corals in close proximity to sensitive corals, but I run a lot of filtration, for example, GAC is changed weekly.

1 person likes this.
  6. gabbyr189

gabbyr189 Bubble Tip Anemone

+1 to the carbon suggestion especially.

7. Mr.Bubbles

Mr.Bubbles Astrea Snail

Iam not convinced my gsp is or will harm my sps..honestly..i think the L.E.D. lights on the JBJ Nano 28g L.E.D. are HIGHLY overrated...these light are inadequate for true sps growth..none of the LFS sps looks good or last long in this tank..iam going to stick with softies from now on..